Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was, it was my first assignment as a 111 in the 158th Infantry when I was 18 (I admit to fibbing to the AZ NG in 58)
I saw that Colt is making a semi auto BAR and I'm very tempted. When I went Regular Army I was made a team leader within a month and I happily took my turn carrying the beast.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I wasn't Army, but did get a lot of trigger time on the gun in firepower demonstrations we did for the AP students.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
It's a pretty thing, Italian Leather Case and all. But $8,799.00?

That'll have to be one of those "if I win the lottery" things. ;)

Colt 1918 Self Loading Rifle - The Firearm Blog
Nice. Too expensive.
Until the NFA is repealed (and I am not holding my breath ...) I think I'll stay with my M1A. 18 pounds for a SEMIautomatic B.A.R.? Uh-uh.

I always like Kirby in the old "COMBAT!" TV series, the squad BARman and wiseacre. He didn't have to carry around an 18lbs BAR all day on set because the MGM prop dept. made him a dummy wood BAR which weighed 1/3rd as much.:rolleyes: That's the way to do it -- especially when you're shooting blanks! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The last Ohio Ordnance I saw for sale was $5,000. They are indeed nice but that's a lot for just a name. The originals are not too common, but they are around

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Charlie Petty,

When I was a "big city" deputy sheriff long, long, ago, our department armory had TWO Colt's Monitors, in mint condition, that I lusted after.
(I believe that they were originally bought for the "tower guards" at the local prison farm sometime in the 1920s but were never used there.)

I later found out that, a few years later, that the department sold one to an NFA dealer out of the northeast & it ended up in the collection of a doctor. The other Monitor was (evidently) given to a sheriff, as a "retirement gift".

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
there must have been an abundance of bars at some time- I have pictures of of our local constabulary in line with m1928 Thompson( vertical fore grip, 50 round drums) and bars as a mixed bag- how one would manoeuver such a contraption inside a late 40's- early 50s patrol car is beyond me

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
t-star,

Maybe the reason that our SO never much used the BAR Monitors (and they were still "just like new") was "not enough room in a prowl car", though I would just be guessing. = Otoh, the Sheriff's Academy range guys shot them a LOT "just for fun".
(And they WERE fun to shoot, as they fired about 500RPM & had, because of their weight, little recoil.)
Further, because the department, then, had LOTS of Garands, there was a surplus of M2 Ball in enbloc clips to "shoot up". = I got all the M2 Ball that I wanted FREE.)

Note: In the mid 1970s, an AZ Class III dealer had a Monitor for sale for 800.oo plus the 200.oo tax. = Wishing that I had bought it, as he offered to sell it to me "on time" & without any interest charge.
(I wonder what a Monitor would sell for in 2015????)

just my opinion, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I know that the piston operated H&K 416 supposedly operates cooler and cleaner than the direct gas impingement of the AR original. But limiting this weapon to a 30 round magazine feed system just doesn't seem to fit the bill of "replacing the M-249", which is belt fed AND can except magazines if the stuff hits the fan and they run out of linked ammo.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
that's what struck me as well- anytime you want an saw, you want a BELT not a box magazine - that was the ONLY fault of the bren
imo

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I know that the piston operated H&K 416 supposedly operates cooler and cleaner than the direct gas impingement of the AR original. But limiting this weapon to a 30 round magazine feed system just doesn't seem to fit the bill of "replacing the M-249", which is belt fed AND can except magazines if the stuff hits the fan and they run out of linked ammo.
I don't believe it's a one for one replacement, but more of an addition to the squad, and in some cases a replacement. I think they're finally catching on that the Russians have used their RPK's to great effect and seeing that a lighter squad auto that allows the gunner to be a single man operated weapon (meaning one guy can operate and pack all of his own ammo), and transition to a regular rifleman is a very nice thing to have.

Keeping it to a 30 round mag makes sense from the standpoint of keeping from overheating the weapon. Even if the barrel is good and thick, 4-5 30 rounders in a row will make that weapon downright uncomfortable to handle.

In fact, when you think about it...the US is really morphing into an infantry squad that's looking an awful lot like a Russian squad. I guess we're just slow learners.

The M4 is now the size of an AK. The M110 & M14 DMR's are being used in the role of designated marksman, precisely the role of the SVD in the Russian squad. Then they have the belt fed SAW which is analogous to the RPK, and finally the 240B fills the role of the PK. (in truth, the RPD is only used by special ops anymore).

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The Corps has been pining over the loss of the automatic rifleman ever since the M14E2 proved useless in the task. Waaay back when (BAR days), the ideal rifle squad had 4 3 man fire teams made up of one automatic rifleman and 2 riflemen.

I'm not real sure what the barrel change method is on the M249 (or if it exists), but Kevin has a point. About 10 30 round mags and the barrel is toast on a non-changable barrel.

I've seen a number of different figures on the cyclic rate of a BAR. I do know that there were a couple of versions of the BAR. The only one I ever actually fired had two cyclic rates: slow and real slow. It was extremely easy to keep rounds on target on the real slow rate.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
the barrel change on the 249 is covered on youtube- I should doubt if 1 could change the barrel any faster- stoner thought it was a good enough idea that he put it on the mk23

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Do not confuse the role of the Auto rifleman with the Machine gunner. Different weapons different deployment. Being a 45B20 many years ago, I got saddled with either an M-203 40mm grenade launcher, the Auto rifleman position (in a maintenance company) or being on the machine gun crew. As the Auto rifleman I got an M-16A1, a clip on bipod and 4 magazine pouches and 13 30 round magazines. I also got to run with the look and find out squad constantly during field exercises. I also got some range time with the infantry.
Geoff
Who notes the Stoner 63 system could have used real development, but everybody said no we want the Colt.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Sometime this morning before I read this post I realized I forgot the M79. The guys who toted those frequently took up one auto rifleman spot on the so-called ideal infantry squad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts