Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Pro Carry II back this morning and I gotta direct some Kudos to Kimber. As you guys know from my previous thread a couple weeks ago, I'm left-handed and it was kicking brass right back into my forehead. Very disconcerting. Well, I sent it back to Kimber for the Exreactor work as it was covered under Warranty. I also asked them(Along with a check) to toss an Ambidextrous Thumb-safety and a set of USAF-logo Rosewood grips in the box for me to install. Well, they installed both, no cost along with a set of hex-head grip screws. Just got back from test-firing it and I am impressed. It put all seven rounds of Hornady Tap in a nice pile at 2 O'Clock about four feet away. How'd it shoot? At fifteen yards, two-handed, standing, it put all seven into a 2-1/4" group in the Black with a six-O'Clock hold. This Bull-Barrel may grow on me.
Oh, pics as soon as I get another digital camera, insurance hasn't sent a check for the theft yet.

Related info, sorta a FYI. There have been some problems with the new firing-pin safety in the II-series Kimbers. It seems a few of them won't allow the grip-safety rod to push the plunger up far enough on the Swartz-Device to disengage the block and allow the firing-pin to move forward on strike,AAMOF, in most of these cases it won't allow the trigger to function. I was on the Kimber forum on Pistolsmith the other day and Dane Burns and(By way of a related thread) Larry Vickers told everybody the cure. Simply remove the Kimber notched firing-pin and install a Colt firing-pin. The Colt pin doesn't have a notch for the block so the block merely rides on top of it with no interference. Just put the Kimber pin in a baggie and if you ever send the Kimber in for warranty work just put it back in. These two guys have built more custom guns on Kimber Slide/Frames than the Kimber Custom Shop so, I believe them.

Replacement is simple and only requires two Drift punches. Break down the pistol, using a drift that fits the hole, push it into the slide by sitting it on a table and pushing the slide down. Hold it there and with the other hand, take another drift and push in the firing-pin and slide the stop down. Remove the Kimber pin and put in the Colt pin. Assembly is the reverse.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Glad to hear that Kimber did good on ya, Retmsgt. I've had a Series II Raptor for about 7 years now, and owned two other Kimber's prior to that, but have never had to make use of their repair or warranty services.

Always read a lot of negative posts about them on other boards, though I tend to take most of those as a sour grapes kinda thing.

And thanks for the tip on a simple cure should I ever have a problem with the Swartz (if I have the spelling right) safety. Never had a problem yet, after thousands of rounds, but you never know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts