Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a mobile home meant a trailer thingy that you hook onto the back of your car and drive down Route 66 with back in 1962. I'm watching a report on FOX(y)-News with Shepard Smith and he went to a "Mobile Home Park" and they are pre-fab buildings, little houses, actually sitting on the ground.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!!???

I thought a mobile home park meant a bunch of trailers, using "mobile home" as a politically correct term for "trailer."

These "mobile homes" were part of a senior citizen community.

Oh, by the way, before you answer my question, don't forget, . . .

I'm a blond.

THE GREAT DUMBONI STRIKES AGAIN!!!

What the ____ is a "Mobile Home" anyway? :? :? :?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Without getting too technical, it's after 5 and I'm pretty sure you're on your 3rd Martooni, :lol: the term "Mobile Home" is passe. Now they're prefabs. They're built at the factory in sections and then rolled on wheels to the site. The wheels are then unattached and the sections are mounted on something, not necessarily a permanent foundation.

Originally they were called trailers since they had permanent wheel setups. They were also cheaper than a stick built house and put in "trailer parks" Hence the term "trailer trash".

I dislike that term as my house was originally a "trailer". When I bought it it had 2 additions of 4 rooms so building was not practical. I bought it for the land (2/3 of an acre in town and surrounded by private property) and the garage but I've almost completely rebuilt it.

Are prefabs a good idea in Florida? I think we've seen the answer to that this weekend but they're less expensive for the elderly on a fixed income. Besides, who's to say what would withstand 145 winds?

Since my vehicles are worth more than my neighbors houses I sometimes hear the word trailer when describing my place. Jealousy is its own reward. 8)

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation. It seems that no sustained winds of 145 mph have actually been confirmed as of yet, and that mobile homes built after 1994 are in fact doing quite well, while others built before codes changed were completely destroyed. Codes were changed because of the destruction wrought by Hurricane Andrew. Those homes really don't look too "mobile" to me so I guess I'm still The Great Dumboni. Not like you could hook a car up to them and take them anywhere, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Manufactured Housing

or manufactured homes, is what these are called in the construction codes.

"¿Algún buen café ultimamente, Alfredo?"

Saludos,

Nemo

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Re: Manufactured Housing

Nemo said:
or manufactured homes, is what these are called in the construction codes.

"¿Algún buen café ultimamente, Alfredo?"

Saludos,

Nemo
Nemo,

You beat me to the punch! We sell steel to most of the manufactured home sellers in our area. Within the "manufactured home" business, there are two different types --- There are lots where they sell homes sort of like a car dealer does, and they come from different manufacturers (eg... Fleetwood, Oakwood etc...) and different sizes( Single wide, double wide, triple wide -- note single wides are 14', dble=28' and triple=42') and they even have "blue book" on the homes and models. These type have a frame and axle under them that are normally removed when the home is set. The other type are "custom" manufacturers who build the modules on an assembly line and send it out to the foundation in pieces on a tractor trailer. In our area, there are 3 custom manufacturers building houses to order.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information, guys. Sorry about being so blond. And Nemo, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what the Spanish meant. Perhaps if my parents hadn't split when I was six years old I would have grown up bilingual. Actually, no perhaps about it, I certainly would have. I pick up Spanish quite easily when I'm around it, but as I spend most of the time alone or around people who don't speak it, I'm at a loss. Sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
In Florida,

a moble home is ANY home not built with re-inforced concrete.

Because in the advent of a hurricane, any home other than a concrete one will become..................

MOBILE!!!!!!! :cryinlaugh:

·
Registered
183 Posts
and the Spanish meant...

Any good coffee lately?

Stay well!

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops, sorry Nemo. Yes plenty. An internet cigar friend from way back, a fellow Boricua just sent me ten cigars and about three quarters of a pound of his home roasted Nicaraguan. Perfect roast, excellent flavor and the cigars were mostly Cuban. My father also just sent me three pounds of Cafe Rico from PR. Good seeing you always.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Funny; some folks were talking about that here, the other day.

It started after WW II, with a lot of "Boomers": Guys who boomed around from one sort of construction job to another. Hook behind car/PU and go from a job in Houston to one in LA and then on to Seattle.

Like everything in America, you need to upscale and find a more socially acceptable name for it. Folks didn't like the more elaborate house trailers being called house trailers, so the ads began to read "Mobile Home". These later versions were only mobile, really, from point of sale to place of set-up.

Then came the "double-wide" size...

And then, snobbishly, we changed from mobile home to "manufatured housing".

TLOK what's next...

:), Art

1 - 12 of 12 Posts