Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it seems (somewhat) that things are better for gun owners in the US Congress and the White House than they have been for many years, I am interested in what "gun control" laws folks here feel should go away, for good.

Now, I know that the Brady AWB and the BS 10 round mag limit should definitely die, it goes without saying. I am interested in the BIG Three - the 1934 Act that started it all, limiting and taxing machine guns to the moon, the Really BIG GCA of 1968, and the totally BS and wrongfully named Firearms Owner's Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986, which ended civilian ownership of any machine gun made past 1986, among other things. There's also the Bush Sr. "Assault Weapons Ban" that prohibited "Scary looking" "Assault Weapons" from further importation, but allowed them as long as the scary features were changed.

Personally, I believe that ALL of them should go, replaced by more sensible legislation. Sure, tax machine gun transfers, manufacture, and import. But not $200. $100 sounds much more fair, even in this day and age. This could be increased according to the cost-of-living, same as our US Soldier's pay, Social Security recipients, and Congress itself. Adjust it for COLA every 5 years.

As far as "undesirables" owning guns (felons, non-resident immigrants, illegals, etc.), ban them - and make it stick. The only exception I would have to that is that convicted felons COULD own a gun, or a machine gun even, AFTER they have paid all debts to society ordered by the court, and AFTER a period of FIVE years had passed with absolutely NO crimes being committed by the ex-con. They would also have to go through the background check (nationwide, not just local/state), and have the purchase able to be opposed by a majority vote of THREE or more judges, on a panel formed for this purpose. This would (hopefully) prevent those who may not have been caught yet (active investigation, but not enough evidence yet for a conviction, for example), but are currently engaged in crime.

Otherwise, you can have ANY type of firearm , grenade, LAW rocket, whatever, that you want. Pass the background check and pay the tax, and there you go. However, if any gun purchased by you from a dealer, manufacturer, or importer if found in commission of a crime, you are held liable. The exceptions are: Stolen from a reasonably secure area (safe, locked case), Sold to a third party (with proof). That's it.

Let me know what y'all think of this. Good idea, or no? Should we start working to try to change these dumb laws, or leave things alone for now (it works the way it is currently)?

Thanks for your responses. I will be suggesting the results of this outcome to my Congressional reps.

Michael N.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Every last one of 'em. Period. Period. Period.

Buying a gun should be no different than buying a loaf of bread.

G

·
Dope laws, too. It's nobody's biz

what anyone over the age of 18 putsinto their own body. If you are old enough to be drafted and killed, you are certainly old enough to take responsibility for what you ingest, inhale, or inject into yourself, and everyone else needs to keep their noses out of it. If a doper creates some OTHER problem, there's OTHER, RELEVANT laws about such things, ya know.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
The law in NYC prohibiting smoking in bars and restaurants. Many cigar clubs took a hit from that law. Then after it was in place the mayor thew a party where smoking cigars was okay. As Mel Brooks would say, "It's good to be the King!"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lautenberg.

Actually, in a broader sense, I'd like to see circumstances arise where the SCOTUS rules that many crime prevention laws and most, if not all, gun control laws violate the doctrine of prior restraint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts