Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt's catalog is getting thicker and thicker; especially when you look at their "custom shop".

For regular production guns, I can think of two that seem like no-brainer's to me since they're already most of the way there. A blued Python, and a .22 Diamondback.

For the custom shop...
One "retro" 1911 Colt has never done are the pre-War Super Match guns...That would be a cool retro to make.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
There are always rumors.

One is a new Anaconda.

Pythons with a blue or at least blackened type finish are likely, and so are various barrel lengths, if not from Colt as standard production, at least to be limited editions for big distributors.

I'd think a .22 Diamondback variation would be a relatively easy job since they already make a Diamondback-like gun in the .357 New King Cobra.
It's built on the same size cylinder and frame as the old Diamondback so conversion to a .22 would not be like a totally new design.

Right now Colt is making as many new 2020 Pythons as they can and are not able to even come near meeting the demand.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problem with Colt's revolvers are...They don't make nearly enough of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Colt is essentially making a Diamondback now. It's called the King Cobra Target and it's in .357 instead of .38. All they need to do is chamber it in .22LR. Would they then call the .22 chambering a Diamondback?

I already have a couple .22 Diamondbacks so probably wouldn't be in the market for another one, especially at $1000+, but a stainless one with the new improved action would be sweet.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Colt Diamondback in 9 shot .22 WMR! Add a .22 LR/L/S/CB/BB interchangeable cylinder.

Geoff
Who traded a Colt Single Action 22 for a Model 38 S&W.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Just to make Kevin drool, and to see if I can make the image upload thing work, here's my two .22 Diamondbacks:

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to make Kevin drool, and to see if I can make the image upload thing work, here's my two .22 Diamondbacks:
You have all the cool guns!!!

I'd like a 4" nickel Diamondback to go along with my Python.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
A repro Service Model Ace, the .22 1911 with the free-float chamber used as a trainer in WW2.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The free float chamber is a PITA to clean. How about something with a fixed barrel and lighter, possibly fractional, slide? Or maybe the 1911 silhoutte with a bolt running inside the "slide".

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
The free float chamber is a PITA to clean. How about something with a fixed barrel and lighter, possibly fractional, slide? Or maybe the 1911 silhoutte with a bolt running inside the "slide".
We already have several 1911 .22 conversions with fixed barrels and lightened slides, from Ciener to Marvel.

I rather enjoy the full weight slide and added recoil of the Colt unit. The floating chamber is one more thing to clean, but it's not THAT bad, especially if you don't let it go too long. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
The one from Ciener is a marvel. Barrel, slide, recoil spring, .22 mag that firs the .45 frame. Gave mine to my youngest son who also has 2 colt 1911s I gave him.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
CZ buys Colt? Is there anything left but a name?

Geoff
Who does not like critical military infrastructure in foreign hands, but what's the alternative?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The US Army has stated several times that the M16/M4 series will be phased out starting next year. They have stated they fully intend to adopt one of the new 6.8mm rifles in current competition; they just haven't decided which one. So Colt won't be a critical military supplier for more than about 3-5 more years at best. Marines have already changed to H&K.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
OMG! The army is actually adopting a new rifle!! Whoodathunkit?:eek:mg:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG! The army is actually adopting a new rifle!! Whoodathunkit?:eek:mg:
They have threatened as much many times since the M16, this time I think they're really going to do it. That's because this is the first time weapons have been presented that ACTUALLY offer real advantages over the M16 series. A 15-30% weight drop in ammunition can't be ignored; that's significant.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If Colt loses the Army's M-16/M-4 stuff, whoo. Shades of a different time. They do contracts for other governments, but I am guessing those governments might look at what the U.S. is doing. Also, any new build AR type rifles would be competing with surplus rifles being rotated into storage that might be sold or provided to friendly governments.

CZ and Colt would offer some things to each other. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
We already have several 1911 .22 conversions with fixed barrels and lightened slides, from Ciener to Marvel.

I rather enjoy the full weight slide and added recoil of the Colt unit. The floating chamber is one more thing to clean, but it's not THAT bad, especially if you don't let it go too long. I'm a fan.
Bingo, the entire point of the Colt .22 in WWII was something that handled just like fullpower for training but at a fraction the ammo cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts