Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their pears are from Chile now, and their catalog has all this foo-foo stuff. Don't they have their orchards anymore?

WHAT'S GOING ON IN AMERICA?!?!?!??!???? . . .

anyhow????!?!?!?!????!!!????!??

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D Yeah, I grew up on this stuff; and I've noticed the big changes, too. Today's, 'Harry And David' seems to be, no more than, a shadow of it's former self. I'd guess that the name's been bought out; and it's all, just: refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and food coloring now.

Sad, I know; but I'm sure the men I knew as a boy are, now, long gone - along with all of their great American orchard fruits, and, 'home-made' jams, and jellies. Remember the pancake mixes and smoked meats? Why would anyone want to pay top dollar for foreign fruits that have, probably, been grown using all of the pesticides that can't be used, here, in the USA?

Maybe it's me; but the last time I bought some of the preserves, the stuff didn't taste as great as I remembered it to be. My imagination? Maybe; but, I think not! :flush:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Harry and David? ... you guys need to fill me in. Who're Harry and David?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ordered some of their stuff to send inlaws a couple of years ago for Christmas. Delivery was bad, quality was worse - switched to Wolfermans. Meredith Farms in upstate NY also has some killer horseradish cheese spreads...

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, Walt, especially if it means doing more business within New York State. Once you're out of the city, it's amazing how much history, culture, farming and industry is in the state, a tremendous diversity of people, wonderful wilderness and open land areas, and if there's some folks putting out great horseradish cheese spreads in upstate New York, then by all means, spread the horseradish and the word!!!

Oh, by the way Walt, are you a slot machine or is that some kind of new helmet for a branch of the Armed Forces? :lol:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It's a tactical welding helmet, Bloof, and my head looks better in it than not. And yes, I have been called a slot in my younger days... :)

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I KNEW IT!!! I knew I'd seen that before. But what do you mean . . .

TACTICAL welding helmet? Are soldiers actually sent into battle to weld enemy troops together???

Oh wait, I just got it. You sneak up on the enemy camp in the middle of the night and weld their jeeps to their tanks, and then weld the tanks to the airplanes, so when they wake up the next day, everything's a jumbled mess and they can't go anywhere, right? I knew the star on the side meant for military use.

TACTICAL welding helmet.

:dunno: :duh: :banghead: :dunno: :dunno: :banghead: :duh:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
"Tactical" is an adjective applied to most anything in an effort to make it sound more combat worthy. It's a cynical marketing ploy and kind of an inside joke among the gun-savvy. Welding the tanks and the Jeeps together would be simple if the fit-up could be resolved. Attaching them to the a/c would be somewhat more problematical as the joining of dissimilar materials is a thornier matter. The star is actually the logo of a local vineyard.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"The star is actually the logo of a local vineyard."

The Great Dumboni is putting away the hat and returning back stage, getting out of costume and heading off into the night where all good dunderheads belong. When he returns he will go back to talking about subjects he knows, like hot sauces, bourbon and track and field.

:duh:

Hey, it looks just like the star on the side of the model airplanes I used to put together 35-40 years ago!!!

:duh:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Bloof: I think you're too hard on yourself - hot sauces and whiskey are infinitely more fun than welding.

Fernando: "J-B Weld" ... {sigh} ... you wound me ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
"... are you a slot machine ... ?" That was pretty good, Bloof.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks sensop, at least I'm good for something. Oh yes, comic relief, that's right.

The Great Dumboni Rides Again!!!

Nothing like knowing your place in life. :duh: :dunno:

This string started out as a lament on Harry and David. :D

"Strange days indeed." - John Lennon, 197?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts