Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long time lurker here with a question.
A CMP SA #5936065 racker. Stripped it down today for a good cleaning and found the lower band to be a little loose on the barrel, also the op rod is rubbing the stock ferrule. What can be done to fix this? It has the roll type pin. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
First move is to replace the roll pin. Go down to the hardware store and buy a new one. It may be necessary to cut a longer one down.

If that fails, cut to the chase and buy a new lower ferrule.
There are ways to try to tighten ferrules, but these usually don't work all that well.

National Match rifle builders today use a special heat-proof silicone bonding agent to GLUE the ferrule down, but ordinary epoxies and other glues will NOT work due to the high heat barrels generate.
Heat breaks most bonding agents down and an M1 barrel gets a LOT hotter then you might think.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy a solid 1/8 x 1/2 dowel pin. Lightly peen the edges of the slot in the barrel where the pin fits through. If necessary lightly peen the edges of the pin holes in the band as well. Then put them all together and drive the pin home. This may not be kosher but it worked for me AND it's JCG legal as well.
Jon

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try swapping lower bands for a tight fit and or the band pin. Or prick punch dimple the barrel mounting surface.

How bad is it rubbing?? The oprod may need to be slightly bent, or maybe a little filing on the ferrule? Can you post a pic?

Semper Fi, Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't do pictures yet. The rod has a small rub spot. About 3/4" long when the action closes. Will try peening the barrel and/or new pin. How tight should the band be to slide on the barrel? I haven't taken it off yet.
bortle

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rob P mentions dimpling the barrel. You can do that with a center punch and it will look like this one:

http://home.comcast.net/~chriskat/DSCF3203.JPG

This barrel came off of a Greek rack grade from the CMP.

As for the op rod rubbing. If the barrel band is loose you can probably rotate it around to center the op rod in the opening. That should keep the op rod from rubbing. Of course you'll have to get the band tight so it will stay that way.

If moving the barrel band doesn't help the op rod issue, the op rod may need to be "re-shaped". The procedure is described in Kunhausen's shop manual, it isn't too tough; but not for the faint of heart.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have a knurling set that I have used to raise the diameter of the barrel to snug up the lower band. But be advised, this will make the rifle illegal for strict J.C.G. competition. To stay legal and still snug up the lower band, you can bump the inner ring of the lower band with a wide flat punch at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock both front and rear. Don't hit the ring hard enough to cause visible flats, just bump it enough to slightly knock it out of round. Go slow and keep trying the band on the barrel until you get the fit you want.

A knurling set is quick and easy and just fine for service rifle competition, but could get you in trouble in a strict J.C.G. match.

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/JimScharf/Dscf1044.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a knurling set that I have used to raise the diameter of the barrel to snug up the lower band. But be advised, this will make the rifle illegal for strict J.C.G. competition. To stay legal and still snug up the lower band, you can bump the inner ring of the lower band with a wide flat punch at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock both front and rear. Don't hit the ring hard enough to cause visible flats, just bump it enough to slightly knock it out of round. Go slow and keep trying the band on the barrel until you get the fit you want.

A knurling set is quick and easy and just fine for service rifle competition, but could get you in trouble in a strict J.C.G. match.

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/JimScharf/Dscf1044.jpg[/IMG]
I know this is an ancient post but I need some guidance on this. You mention using a flat punch at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock both front and rear. I need to know if I am hitting the outer edges of the inner ring or if I am hitting the outer portion of the inner ring itself (the wide diameter part of the inner ring). If there is anyway to show a picture with arrows or markers that would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts