Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering what guns Browning Arms made and when. I know that while JB was there they made a few, but since then, which ones were actually made by the company. Most of the handguns were Beretta, SiG or FN. Was the BDM Browning made or was it too simply distributed? What about in the shotguns and rifles?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Browning Arms

That's a great question. I hope someone can enlighten us. I've seen referrences to the BDA/SIG and could never clairfy the connection.

Ed

BTW, Technically speaking The "Brownings" only produced one gun, the original single shot. After they sold that to Winchester they only made models/prototypes.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
This is very complicated.

One could argue- rightly I think- that the only guns Browning ever made were from Utah and that basically ended when Winchester bought the rights to the single-shot rifle in 1880something.

The great man sold licenses to manufacture his designs to Winchester, Colt, Remington and Fabrique Nationale (now FNH).

Browning developed a very strong connection with FN when they began to make his .32 pistol and typically spent six months a year in Herstal for the latter part of his life.

In the 1920s Browning gave FN the right to use his name and it was widely assumed that there was a Browning Company somewhere but in fact all the guns were made by FN in Herstal, Belgium.

The various P-35 models- including the more recent stuff (BDA) have been made by FN or licensees- hither and yon.

But the key point is other than the Browning Brothers shop there isn't a plant somewhere with "Browning" over the door. The closest thing would be the Browning Custom Shop in Herstal, but it is technically a subsidiary of FNH.

FNH is actually a very big outfit with plants in Belgium, Portugal, Japan and the U.S. They own USRAC (Winchester long guns), FNMI in Columbia, SC and Browning USA- which is more of a distribution company).

It really is complicated.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the Buckmark? Who makes it?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
jar said:
How about the Buckmark? Who makes it?
Arms Technology Inc. of Utah produces the Buckmark, and at one time, the BDM. (I believe that the latter was eventually shuffled off to FNMI in South Carolina.)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I didn't know the BDM was made in Columbia. I know they made the polymer frame Forty-Nine and whatever they called the other. My understanding is the FNMI was (is) also making barrels for the Winchester police rifles.

USRAC also has another plant in Columbia that makes parts and sub-assemblies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts