Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the '80s, there was an outfit, I believe called Assault Systems, that offered a very clever shoulder stock accessory for the Ruger .22 auto pistol. I think it was a one-piece injection molding of some kind of plastic. It was molded to fit the backstrap of the gun very closely, but it didn't actually attach to the gun in any way--no screws, pins, springs, clamps, glue, or even sticky tape. The idea was you just gripped it as you gripped the gun--the two were one as long as you were holding it, but let go or even loosen your grip and the gun and stock were two separate entities again.

A decade or so ago when I put a scope on a MKII I got interested in finding one of these, and couldn't turn up one, nor any evidence of the continuing existance of the maker.

Was the product shut down by ATF? Or was it just not a good or practical idea? Or did they just never get the right publicity to make a go of it? Or what? I remember seeing small ads for it in Firepower and or SWAT magazines at the time, maybe even a brief product review or mention.

Daniel? Charlie? Tim?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't remember that but I can't imagine ATF letting that pass.

Attaching a shoulder stock creates a short barrel rifle and makes it an NFA weapon.

There are a couple of curio exceptions for guns like broomhandles and lugers but that's all.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I remember something like that vaguely. It was a skeletonized stock like affair and you pivoted your pistol against it, but if you picked it up by the stock the pistol would fall out.

My thought was you were halfway to the price of a 10/22 why not just buy one?

Geoff
Who notes having a digital copy of everything he ever read would be distracting, especially given the state of search engines today.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember that but I can't imagine ATF letting that pass.

Attaching a shoulder stock creates a short barrel rifle and makes it an NFA weapon.
But this thing didn't "attach" to the gun in any way. You just gripped it and the gun in your hand at the same time, is all.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not what I mean at all.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Well, before he invented Global Warming, Al Gore invented this thing called the "World Wide Web". And it has this feature called "Search"...

These items turned up as I did various searches for the device Snake was asking about. The only thing I could find about that one was a comment on another board that it may have been developed and marketed by a Craig Wheatley at Tactical Innovations. Further searches based on that lead turned up absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I seem to remember one that was like a Henry ar-7 stock. Where the action of the ar-7 connects it just had a slot where you held the pistol.

It was too long ago for me to remember much about it as it is just a vision in a faint memory or could have even been somethin i saw in an old spy flick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stock you are talking about was made by: Assault Accessories
P O Box 8994 CRB
Tuscan, AZ 85738
Don't think they are in business, but stock was made of a solid rod material. It was formed to shape of the grip of the pistol. The rod section that came in contact with the gun was covered with a black rubber tubing material, so as not to scratch the pistol. That was pressed up gainst the back of the pistol with the hand wrapping tightly around gun and stock holding them together. Metal rod frame with small flat "butt plate" attached.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock you are talking about was made by: Assault Accessories
P O Box 8994 CRB
Tuscan, AZ 85738
Don't think they are in business, but stock was made of a solid rod material. It was formed to shape of the grip of the pistol. The rod section that came in contact with the gun was covered with a black rubber tubing material, so as not to scratch the pistol. That was pressed up gainst the back of the pistol with the hand wrapping tightly around gun and stock holding them together. Metal rod frame with small flat "butt plate" attached.
Yes, that sounds like it! Thanks! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts