Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOUR . . .

American Backyard???

I was just surveying mine as a matter of fact, planning, observing, then had to run out to the mail truck with outgoing bills. They were an hour early. She almost didn't notice me, and I didn't want to yell too loud as I ran out from the back yard. Good thing I recognize the sound of all the vehicles that pass through here, UPS, the mail truck, the school buses, the garbage trucks, and the hip hop bass thumping sports cars with the young guys coming to and fro from the dead end past me and also down the adjacent lane from my house.

Well, moving 65 miles north of New York City certainly did introduce me to a change in the weather, to a certain extent. As for right now, it's a beautiful 74 degrees here already in the sweet country air in the hills of Lower Dutchess County, New York. By the way, our county has been cited as having air even more polluted than that of the city below where I was born and lived almost all my life. :D :shock: :? :evil: :shock: :D :evil: :evil: :x

I wonder if it's the air right by my house in this neighborhood tucked away in the hills of this world renowned beauty of an area known as Dutchess County? Is it certain pollutants? Is it a case of Good Air, Bad Air, great fresh country air but there's a few things in it that are slowly killing you badly as well? :shock: Sure smells better. Sure feels better. Sure is great seeing all the bird species, woodchucks, rabbits, frogs, snakes, deer, foxes, coyotes and other animals that still thrive in this area of the world.

At any rate, coming from the city where the concrete seems to regulate the temperature between highs and lows that seldom vary by more than 12-15 degrees, this was quite a surprise to get up here. First of all, I'm about 15 miles north of a 'snow line' so the wintertime weather can be vastly different. I can get snowed in and unable to make it to work when the folks in the city are scratching their heads at that as they trod through heavy rains.

The low temperatures, usually reached at 0600 to 0700 hours in this part of the world can get quite a bit lower than the city, as much as 25 degrees lower in the colder months and even ten degrees lower in the hottest. Surely being at 1,100 feet+ elevation helps in that, and provides for crisp refreshing night air. The high temperatures, usually reached between 1330 and 1600 hours in the city, are reached here between 1600 and 1800 hours, and can be equal to or even five degrees higher than the city!!! Hence you have examples like two days just past:

April 17th

Low - 37 High - 80

April 19th

Low - 45 High - 89

Quite a change for this city rat. You'd never see days like that in New York City, except for a very rare drastic change in 'fronts'. It can put a strain on someone with Deteriorating Asthma, but I left NYC without looking back, and if I have anything to say about it, I'm not going back. For me personally, just my opinion of my own life, this is what I've always wanted, and really no more. So, as I prepare to lace on the gloves for my fourth World Championship Bout with Foreclosure, I'm hoping I can keep my American Back Yard. Hopefully the second mortgagee, a local bank with local ideas and motivations can help me out here, as they've been hinting at for more than a year.

And as for you, even if you're in a city somewhere, what's the weather like in YOUR American Back Yard? What's it like right now? What are the variations? Do you have seasons, harsh winters, steady as she goes, no extremes like I hear it is in San Francisco?

Your American Back Yard wants to know. :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sounds to me like Bigg Bosss Mann just told the weather:

"You're Fired!!!"

:D :p :shock:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
South Carolina is officially classifed as having a "sub-tropical climate." Our average temperature is 67 degrees. Low humidity at any time of year is when it gets into the 40% range. May is the month that the humidity starts climbing along with the temps.
I've seen days when there was not a cloud in the sky, the temp was 97, and the relative humidity was 100%!

As for the last few days, they've been pretty pleasant. Into the mid 60's at night, high 70's in the day, and some badly needed showers. Humidity is just begining to creep up, so....it won't be long 'till it's "sweatball time."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Terlingua is running milder than usual for temperatures for this time of year. Hardly getting much above 90, with lows down around 50 to 60.

The winter and early spring have seen more rain than is usual. That's usually our dry time.

Must be the Globular Worming the enviros are warning about.

:), Art

·
Registered
75 Posts
:roll: Let's see: 13:30, 16:00, 18:00. Hmmm, that would be military temperature, or time, or something - right? There's some kind of an equation for this, isn't there?

(Range: Xm = 1 <-> 24) and (X => 12) and (Xm - 12 = ST) (Where ST is expressed in strictly ordered terms of, either, pm or am.) Therefore: (13:30 = 12:00(pm) + 1:30) and (13:30 - 12:00(pm) = 1:30pm) Oh, yeah, now I remember: 13:30 = 1:30pm!

This is so much more interesting than doing it the old fashioned way, isn't it. Now, if we really want to have some fun, let's not forget that 1 meter = 39.37 inches. Once we've, all, agree on this, just, imagine the possibilities:

'That's right, darling; I wear a size 30.50(cm) shoe; and you know what that means - don't you!'

Hey, I think I'm going to like this, 'umpteen hundred hours' thing! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My watch and as many clocks as possible in my house are set to the 24 hour, or "military clock." It just always made more sense to me, rather than saying it's been 7 o'clock twice in the same day.

And yes, I have the opportunity to use the measurement for meters quite often in my life, since track and field is my favorite sport.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:? Now, don't tell me you, also, wear a size 30.5 shoe! :shock:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, it's 9 at night and it's starting to cool down. Must be down to about 85 or so by now.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I don't know Double A, is a size 12 the same as 12 inches? In that case, my shoe size would be 30.50 cm!!!!

My height is 188 and my weight is 90 and as for that other measurement, don't worry, I'm nowhere near John Holmes who, depending on the source, was at LEAST 30.50. I dare say even that's considered tame compared to what's being put out on the internet these days. Would you believe 40.64 and up???

:banghead: :banghead: :eeek: :eeek: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
14 Posts
'bout 9:30 pm here and cooling down to about 80 outside. Nice breeze off the ocean though so it isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reference. That means I wear a 46.5, but that's European, 30 Japanese and 11.5 English. Go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts