Where to find 30/06 to 308 chamber adapter

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pres Presley 
#1 ·
A number of years ago I recall seeing in Shotgun News an
adapter that fit in the chamber of a 30/06 rifle so you could
shoot 308. They even sold a broken case extractor so you
could remove it.

I recall these adapters weren't the best for accuracy but it
did allow you to shoot 308s without rebarreling.

Does anyone know where to find one these days?

#2 ·
They are not considered to be safe in a M1 Garand rifle. I doubt you will find anyone willing to sell you one for actual use. The Navy tried several variations of chamber inserts. The problem was always the same. Every once in a while the rifles would extract and eject the insert along with the fired case. If another 7.62mm round was chambered, as it would be automatically in a M1, and then fired, you would have a greatly over long headspace situation with a very likely head seperation of the case possibly blowing up the rifle.

#3 ·
Don't do it! Bad idea. If you want a 7.62 garand, buy a 7.62 barrel. A barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle, or perhaps a hospital visit!

#4 ·
Are you talking a semi perminant one????

I agree with the others- NOT SAFE in the 308/06 combo....

I was just doing some research before buying SHOTUN to rifle adapters not too long ago (I got a thread over in the survival side) about SHOTGUN ones.....

I'd steer WELLLLLLLLLLL Clear of the Garand ones~ The navy didnt abandon them for just any ol reason.

Now IF I've completely misread your wants (although its difficult NOT to think you want one for the Garand & this post is IN the Garand section....)

There is an outfit in Alaska that makes rifle to rifle adapters that do just exactly what you mention (Broken shell extractor et al) but I didn't see, nor do I believe they will make a 30-06 down to 308 adapter...........and God save you if they do..........

If you really want a 308 Garand- go get one in 308! Or get a -06 and have it doen right- namely get a "true" 308 barrel for the gun!!!!!!!!

Metalhead

#5 ·
I have 2 of them in my parts box and no disrespect, that is where they are going to stay. They are a coffee table topic and strictly a show & tell item not to be used in a real gun.

I might use them in a life and death situation with a bolt action or single action rifle but I would check each shell coming out to make sure that the adapter didn't come also. But not in a semi-auto.

I read an articule about a lady that just underwent the first partial face transplant--you don't want to be number 2.

Best $200 you will ever spend will be to have that .308 barrel put on your garand. It will save you your 20% hospital co-pay on a $20,000 plus hospital stay.

If you live in the SF bay area I will put .308 barrel on and ream/headspace it for you free, you just buy the barrel. Better yet, I will teach you how.

#6 ·
Save your $$$. They don't work. I bought one years ago and couldn't get it to work in any of my rifles. They sent me another one, and that one didn't work either.

Don

#7 ·
Thanks for the replys.

Actually I was going to use it in a bolt gun. The only reason I posted it here in the Garand section is because the adapters were originally aimed at using the M1 Garand with the then new 7.62x51.

I really don't want to make a regular use of it either. Its just to
add versatility to my stash in an dire situation such as ammo
shortages or SHTF scenarios. I always seem to have far more
308 squirreled away than I have 30/06. (Although the way the
milsurp 308 supply is drying up it may be a moot point.)
I appreciate everyones input.

#8 ·
Brandyspaw,
Another problem with such a setup is that the .308/7.62mm cartridge is not just a shortened .30-06. The body tapers are not the same. At the point where the shoulder begins on the body of a .308 it is a larger diameter than at the same point up from the base of a .30-06. Unless your .30-06 chamber is somewhat loose for .30-06 bolt gun, the .308/7.62mm case is going to be tight in the chamber even with the chamber insert and cause bolt closing and extraction problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.