Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before this day is over, I have to call to mind the huge East Coast blackout of 1977 which inspired the song title in my subject line by The Trammps.

At approximately 2130 hours the lights went out on a hot night in a summer that still brings back chilling memories, in part because it is still one of the hottest summers on record (chilling memories :D ) and it was . . .

The Summer of Sam as well, and living in Queens at the time, and hanging out in some of the struck areas, and having friends in some of the others, it was a bit scary.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
To the best of my recollection…

…drunk and asleep in my bare feet and blue jeans in Magic's Pub.

It wasn't just a special blackout day… those were the blackout years… to the best of my recollection, of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re:

Throwin down some cold ones enjoyin workin for the band (known in the future as Survivor...You know Survivor??? Eye of the Tiger???....Rocky xxxxx....) on a great midwestern summer night.....I was 22!!....mack

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, Mack. I was a few months away from 22, and yet to have the car accident that would ruin any hopes of a bodybuilding career. My first wife and I were sitting in a movie theater on Northern Blvd. in Flushing watching Exorcist II. The lights went out five minutes before the end. Shortly after that, we heard windows smashing on Northern Blvd. We left about half an hour after that, when the theater manager and helpers deemed it safe for us to leave. We never went back to see the end of the movie, the marriage didn't last, and the rest, . . .

is history.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought that was in 1964...

and 1967,

and 1971,

and 1975,

and 1983,

and 1988,

and ...........

Isn't that almost a yearly event in NYC now??

The FESTIVAL OF DARK or something like that?

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THE BIG THREE

November 9, 1965 - 1700 hours Eastern time

July 13, 1977 - 2130 hours Eastern time

August 14, 2003 - 1611 hours Eastern time

I was there, . . .

for all of them.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, but up here in Lower Dutchess County, it's about one every two months on average. Had two in five days recently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds suspicious to me!

Let's see....

11/9/1965 plus NYC plus Bloofington equals LIGHTS OUT.

7/13/1977 plus NYC plus Bloofington equals LIGHTS OUT!

8/14/2003 plus NYC plus Bloofington equals LIGHTS OUT!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bloofington said:
THE BIG THREE

November 9, 1965 - 1700 hours Eastern time

July 13, 1977 - 2130 hours Eastern time

August 14, 2003 - 1611 hours Eastern time

I was there, . . .

for all of them.
#1 Chanute AFB Ill. Tech School

#2 NYC, laid off the NYPD. The savages went wild in Brooklyn. Burned down most of Broadway then finished the rest off in the '80s. :(

#3 My "estate" :lol: in NE Pa. Retired 10 years and loving it! :D

First post btw. Some of you know me from THR, TFL & The S&W Forum, love them Smith N frames. 8)

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome dinosaur, and let's hear it for my beloved NYPD. Have a couple of friends still on, a few more retired, by one thing or another. Yes indeed, bad time for the city for you to get laid off. We could have used you on 7/13/77. That was the beginning of New Yorkers getting out of hand during such events in a big way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. :D I was actually working for a buddy of mine during the blackout in '77. Not much business but I had my handy RR 1911 A1 with me. Two weeks later I was called for NYC Corrections (Rikers Island) and dealt with some of the looters. :shock:

I later worked in the 83Pct. which has Broadway as one of it's borders. What a mess. In the late '70s early '80s FDNY was running around like chickens with their heads cut off they were so busy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts