Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this tonight. Same sad excuses. I never knew Garands had high capacity mags, and I wonder how many criminals are able to obtain an M1 through NCIS and then actually use it in a crime? Lastly, when asked what should be an easy question they all defer the question to another organization or branch of government, who defers to another, who then defers back and the question is NEVER answered!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09 ... latestnews

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
In all fairness, I believe these were MAP guns, which have all kinds of strings attached.

As the kids these days say, "It's complicated." :ehsmile:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you briefly tell me what a MAP gun is? I googled it and get all kinds of stuff that I doubt has anything to do with MAP guns. I figured it was complicated since it has to go through the government, but why approve the sale and then all of the sudden nix it? They cite high capacity mags, but the carbines had those before when they were alright with the sale. What makes me mad is the lack of explanation, all passing the question off to others and then no one ever answers the question and the subject gets dropped. I know it's politics and that's how they operate, it's just frustrating and sad to think more of these great rifles are going to be "disposed of" because of the unfounded fears of a few.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Military Assistance Program. Foreign govts that accept stuff under MAP aren't supposed to ever be able to sell the stuff (without significant strings attached). Waivers are sometimes granted but this time apparently not.

If the Ks are smart, they'll just sit on those guns for another 2.5 years, then the market might well open up again. :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Ks are smart, they'll just sit on those guns for another 2.5 years, then the market might well open up again. :wink:
Good call on that one. Thanks for the MAP clarification too.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
sorry, Snake, but the Greek M1's were all MAP guns too and we were able to buy those back.
Really? A private enterprise in the US, not affiliated with the US government in any way, bought the Greek guns and brought them back?

I must have missed the ads for them in Shotgun News. Century and SARCO and the usual suspects kept them a secret. :ehsmile:

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
They all went thru CMP
Right. And is CMP involved in the current Korea deal?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I cannot find the thread right now, but on the CMP Forum Orest stated that CMP has not and will not be involved.

Apparently if the rifles were loaned it is okay for the Koreans to give the rifles back to the Army which can then feed them to CMP, but the Koreans want to sell them which is against the conditions of the MAP. Basically, the Koreans did not purchase the rifles in the first place, do not own them and cannot sell them.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Guy B. Meredith said:
I cannot find the thread right now, but on the CMP Forum Orest stated that CMP has not and will not be involved.

Apparently if the rifles were loaned it is okay for the Koreans to give the rifles back to the Army which can then feed them to CMP, but the Koreans want to sell them which is against the conditions of the MAP. Basically, the Koreans did not purchase the rifles in the first place, do not own them and cannot sell them.
And there you have it.

Good post, Guy, and thanks for clearing it all up.

But now one wonders how the Koreans released some Garands and carbines in the '80s. Did they buy those guns and were therefore free to sell them? Or did the Reagan administration grant them a waver of some sort?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think it's just another way for the Axis of Evil that's running our government to stick to us in the end. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Snake; ALL,

it's more of the "same old same old" bravo sierra, LIES, distortions, "invented facts", ARROGANT foolishness, deceitfulness & STUPIDITY for "the current occupant of the WH" & his evil minions of the "main-SLIME press", the lunatic leftist fringe & the DIMocRATS party.

fwiw, the Koreans sold the EXACT same sorts of Garands & M-1 carbines during the Reagan administration. those, TOO, were "MAP" weapons.
(otoh, the KLINTOON administration cut up TENS of THOUSANDS of perfectly functional rifles, because "Wee Willie" & his bunch of nitwits wanted NOBODY to own them! ====> i know for a fact that several allied/"third world" governments NEEDED the weapons and their requests were denied, as i was at "the 5-sided puzzle palace" at the time.)

the current administation, from BHO down, is a coven of: LIARS, fools, lunatics, nitwits, & ANTI-Constitutional "empty-heads". - it's really NO more complicated than that AND the whole bunch need to be removed from their positions at the next election.

just my opinion.

yours, sw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts