Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple days ago I bought the 2010 edition of Guns & Ammo Complete Book of the 1911. Not a bad rag, all things considered.

Along with some familiar names among the writers (Rick Hacker, Richard Venola, David Fortier, Bart Skelton, Greg Rodriguez, and of course our own Patrick Sweeny), I noticed that quite a few of the articles were written by names I've never heard before. Some of them weren't half bad, either--a couple of them show some real promise as gunwriters.

So where did the following come from? Anyone ever heard of any of them?

James Tarr

David Kenik

Phil Butler

Joseph von Benedikt

J. Guthrie

Doug Larson

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Smell like pen names.

Given the current economy and the tendency for the young and innocent to work cheap, might be bright young things trying to break into the market.

Geoff
Who notes we are overdue for a new generation of bright young innocent gun writers.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Joeseph is a young guy who started out at G&A as an assistant and has moved up. I recognize a couple of other names but don't know them.

The so called "one-shots" are often the place where unused copy can get printed and also a good place to try newbies...working cheap probably doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
David Kenik is an associate of Ralph Mroz in the Police Officers Safety Association. He has published a book, Armed Response: A Comprehensive Guide to Using Firearms for Self-Defense. Reading it gave me the impression that he has a background in IPSC and IDPA competition, has probably taken a few courses from Massad Ayoob and may be a part-time officer in northern New England.

Is there some sort of formal apprenticeship program whereby one becomes a legitimate gun writer?I was not aware of one when I submitted my manuscript to Paladin Press and it was accepted anyway. In fact, they just released an updated edition of the book. Perhaps I skated by because I too went directly to a book, without ever submitting anything for publication to a gun magazine.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't mind reading new guys. Rather enjoy it, in fact. I was just surprised to see so much of the book--probably more than half--written by names I'd never seen before.

Several of them seem to be distinctly better than the crop of semicompetent hacks that have taken over the gun rags in the last four or five years.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Snake45 said:
Several of them seem to be distinctly better than the crop of semicompetent hacks that have taken over the gun rags in the last four or five years.
Didn't we do a thread that might charitably be termed an evaluation of various gun writers some time back? The term "legitimate gun writer" temps (half?) witty commentary. Present company excepted.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
William R. Moore said:
Didn't we do a thread that might charitably be termed an evaluation of various gun writers some time back? The term "legitimate gun writer" temps (half?) witty commentary. Present company excepted.
Would that be "tempts"?

I recently saw some figures on the steadily decreasing proportion of American babies born in wedlock. Double entendres on the word "legitimate" would seem to have little significance in today's world.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
:oops: Although my thought had more to do with the status of the position rather than the person attempting to fulfill the duties. On the other hand, some of the noted persons of yore certainly had personal quirks that caused you to wonder.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
spwenger said:
Is there some sort of formal apprenticeship program whereby one becomes a legitimate gun writer?
Way back in my youth I tried follow George W. Nonte's path via the US Army Ordnance Corps. I got sidetracked by "the needs of the service." Please note I never bought a Corvair. Eventually I got sidetracked by the magic computer boxes and ended up as a Gov. Issue Computer Geek. I still toss my two cents and occasional reviews into various websites..

I am opening a thread for pointers to up and coming amateur and semi-pro young gun writers. A few of whom might be worth a look.

Geoff
Who dreams of a rich retirement and having time and money to indulge his curiosity. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Snake45 said:

I don't mind reading new guys. Rather enjoy it, in fact. I was just surprised to see so much of the book--probably more than half--written by names I'd never seen before.

But did you learn anything new?

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin Gibson said:
More than I expected, to be honest, but not really all that much.

Did learn about that Kimber bobtail, about which I started another thread.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
Snake45 said:

Would you have any greater or lesser expectation of learning anything new on the basis of a writer's "seniority"?

It was pointed out to me years ago, by Massad Ayoob, that the more courses you take, the more fortunate you are if you pick up as much as one pearl in each subsequent course. In my experience, that pearl is more likely to involve a new way to teach something old than a new technique.

I suspect that I am like many of the regulars in that the "new" items I glean here usually involve "old" stuff.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
spwenger said:
Would you have any greater or lesser expectation of learning anything new on the basis of a writer's "seniority"?

It was pointed out to me years ago, by Massad Ayoob, that the more courses you take, the more fortunate you are if you pick up as much as one pearl in each subsequent course. In my experience, that pearl is more likely to involve a new way to teach something old than a new technique.

I suspect that I am like many of the regulars in that the "new" items I glean here usually involve "old" stuff.
I've been saying it for years, but I'll repeat it one more time...

While there may be some writers whose writing I have followed for years, at the end of the day, the article has to stand on its own merits, regardless of who wrote the article.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevin Gibson said:
While there may be some writers whose writing I have followed for years, at the end of the day, the article has to stand on its own merits, regardless of who wrote the article.
Right. There are some grand old masters who "phone one in" every so often (or oftener!). And there are some FNGs who bring welcome new perspective or experiences to the subject at hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts