Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie,

I normally use RCBS dies for both rifle and handgun reloading, but found that they don't offer micrometer seating dies for .25-06 but do for .308 Win. My question for you do you use micrometer seaters or do you fuss and fidget with the standard seating dies as I've done in the past? And whose dies do you prefer? There's a bunch to choose from but Forster/Bananza seems to have the widest selection of micrometer seating dies.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I like Redding's Competition dies, but unless you're going to the trouble of testing overall length to the nearest thousandth I don't know that you need them. That is especially true if you aren't working with a tackdriver rifle to begin with.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Charlie.

No the Savage .308 isn't a tackdriver - minute, maybe barely subminute if I'm careful. I've got stuff loaded a 5, 10, 15 and 20th thousnads off the rifleling but when it hasn't been raining, it's been too windy here in San Antonio - until today and I was tied to the house. Maybe Wednesday, gotta hope the weatherman is wrong about rain later this week. :(

The Tikka .25-06 has me concerned. Got PP groups with Remington Accu-Tips ammo. :banghead: Have see what occurs, but since I don't already have dies for it, I thought I might go ahead and buy a set with the micrometer seating die.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've got a mish mosh of dies. Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Redding, etc. The Reddings look like the better quality sight wise. They all load really fine ammo so I guess the hidden quality is about the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I like Redding's Competition dies, but unless you're going to the trouble of testing overall length to the nearest thousandth I don't know that you need them. That is especially true if you aren't working with a tackdriver rifle to begin with.
Have to agree with the extra-ordinary: quality, polish, and mechanical tolerances on Redding dies. If you're going to go to this much expense and trouble, though, maybe you should, also, think about turning the cartridge necks for concentricity. Then, you'll have, 'tack-driving' ammunition. :wink:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Reloading

Interesting. I've got a mix of RCBS and Lyman dies. I've always had good results with both makes.

Just never measured so closely. If it mics to spec then I figure it's OK. :roll:

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.