Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone was telling me the other week about a doozy he heard at a gun show once. Someone was asking a vendor as to why some of the M1 front sights he had on display had wider ears than others. Holding up an IHC front sight and an SA front sight, the vendor replied, "This sight (IHC) was issued to troops in the Pacific, and this one (SA) to troops in Europe. You see, early in WWII our boys in the Pacific found that the Japanese troops ran for cover faster than the Germans did, so they needed a front sight with wider ears so that they could lead them a bit more." :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
914 Posts
you hear all sorts of "stories" at gun shows you probably could write a book about them. I would say the differences in the sights would probably have more to do with ease of, or faster production of the componet then anyting else.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
TEA said:
Someone was telling me the other week about a doozy he heard at a gun show once. Someone was asking a vendor as to why some of the M1 front sights he had on display had wider ears than others. Holding up an IHC front sight and an SA front sight, the vendor replied, "This sight (IHC) was issued to troops in the Pacific, and this one (SA) to troops in Europe. You see, early in WWII our boys in the Pacific found that the Japanese troops ran for cover faster than the Germans did, so they needed a front sight with wider ears so that they could lead them a bit more." :wink: :lol: :lol:
:eek: YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T TRUE!!!!! Man, I paid extra on my first two garands to get the "german-killer" sights rather than the "Jap" sights :oops: . I just wanted a real European theatre gun :( . Wait, I bet you are going to tell me that the 16 inch M1 bayonet I have wasn't made extra long because the Chinese wore such thick clothes in Korea.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What is the real reason? I have a BMB marked front site (breda) and the ears are pretty straight. I also have a PB(Beretta) and the ears have quite and arc to them. Being both Itallian it seems kind of strange....

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The reason is this:
why would they need to be the same on every rifle? tight tolerances cost money, so designers have to decide which dimensions need to be tight and which ones don't.

Ty

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
who looks at the ears of the sight when firing a shot. that is a non-critical dimension.

·
Registered
697 Posts
fubar said:
who looks at the ears of the sight when firing a shot. that is a non-critical dimension.
I do... I do... I do :lol:

I don't know why, but I actually like the wider ears of the IHC & WRA sights. ok, I don't focus on the ears when I'm shooting but I do like to see the whole target without it being slightly obstructed by the more narrow ears. :roll: it's all just my personal preference.

Also when I go into battle versus those dreaded milk and orange juice jugs... I have an easier target acquisition with the wider sights. After my first hit the jug flies about 20 ft into the air... I find I have an easier second shot at the jug before it hits the ground with the wider ones. Something about a moving target? :wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
sight story

Was it here that someone told of a gun show vendor who had his lone Garand priced way up in 4 figure land because the 'P' on the pistol grip indicated that it was Pattons???????

·
Registered
697 Posts
Re: sight story

Heck in Ohio said:
Was it here that someone told of a gun show vendor who had his lone Garand priced way up in 4 figure land because the 'P' on the pistol grip indicated that it was Pattons???????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :lol:

hahaha! oh... it's good to laugh while your still at work on a Friday before a long weekend! :wink: sucks to be me!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Wow, Patton had a lot of rifles, I've got three of them.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Actually, Patton didn't have one issued to him but he did inspect them to put his stamp of approval on them. :lol:

I like shooting with wider ears better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was in El Salvador for awhile back in the early 80's. I saw 2 Sal troopers (home guard, not regulars) pounding their M1 upside down on a concrete floor trying to separate the receiver from the wood. The trigger group was still installed. Did separate the front site ears pretty far as I recall. After I showed them the correct way (not that I was familiar with M1's at that time in my Army career, far from it!) their "Sargento" put an ass-whooping on those 2 you would have to have seen to believe! Made me feel a little bad but I still laughed!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.