Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Loved that scene from Diehard 2. When I first saw that movie I wasn't into guns and the scene made no impression on me at all -- I don't remember it. But I saw the DVD a couple weeks ago and now remember the "Glock 7" -- the "porcelain" gun.
Geeeesh.
Now, I will say, even in light of the fact I own a Glock 19 (it's been improved to X-Tempered Porcelain :p ) I still think Glocks are ugly. Bricks with grips.
But they work.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
B-b-b-b-b-but they're .....PERFECTION!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::cryinlaugh::cryinlaugh:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It's not "America's handgun" in this house.

Gaston "bought the business", he didn't earn it.

It's just that simple.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
B-b-b-b-b-but they're .....PERFECTION!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::cryinlaugh::cryinlaugh:
:thumbsup::rotflmao::bow:

Okay, I don't OWN any Glocks...but I have carried one for quite a few years. They are reliable, reasonably accurate and just about perfect holster gun for LEO's. The manual of arms is simple, same trigger pull all the time, and you can stand in a rainstorm for 8 hours and not have to worry about your handgun too much. They're kinda like the AK's of the modern hangun world. Functional, not pretty.

Being an old fart, I like my guns made out of steel...preferably blued, with wood grips.

But I never felt unarmed carrying a Glock.

Perfection? Hell, no. But not bad...not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
damned kids- america's farvorite isTHE 1911, period- even for those of us that don't live there- and in 45 to boot- and yes, i am a dinosaur
being in nam, i learned all about the value of nickel, and stainless- but you still won't get me anywhere near a plastic krunchticker

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My my my ... the utter disdain in which some people hold Glocks .... and through inference, I presume, other polymer guns, like my Springfield XD-45 and my Sig SP 2022 and my S&W MP40 ....:(
My heart is hurting at the assault.

:neer:​

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Glock: Bang, bang...ho hum...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm not really down on the pistol, after all it's a tool, and one that works pretty well and is easy to maintain.

But Gaston is an arrogant asshat; the only reason the weapons are so pervasive in this country is because he essentially gave them away to a multitude of agencies.

Good business practice from his standpoint, perhaps, but it sticks in my craw.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
WG,

i simply regard them as fundamentally UNSAFE & INFERIOR to the Sig-Sauer, the Colt's GM, the Steyr GB, the BHP & a host of other handguns.

yours, sw

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
My my my ... the utter disdain in which some people hold Glocks .... and through inference, I presume, other polymer guns, like my Springfield XD-45 and my Sig SP 2022 and my S&W MP40 ....:(

Springfield, SIG and S&W all make fine guns, but they don't claim "Perfection."

Most of the "innovations" on GLOCKs were done by other manufacturers before, some as early as the turn of the last century. GLOCK put them all together at the right time.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Popular Mechanics did more than hump your leg, they left stains.

When we tested them, I noted a couple of neat things-the same trigger all the time and that the poly frame didn't leach heat out of your hand in cold weather. I also noted far more minus items. I will allow they seem to have maxed rust resistance, however, they also seem to have maxed AD/ND/UD stats worldwide.

The final straw was the "Perfection" attitude in the face of a demonstrated lack of adequate reliability (I felt then and now the mags were the issue.) I note that attitude still exists, even if with a somewhat less in your face attitude.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
OK, Plastic less than perfect.

I like the SP2022 and it's popular with at least two local security outfits. One look you know it's safe. A SIG 226 in plastic with grip options.

I like my Kahr, 9094N, flat inconspicuous, reasonably accurate, reliable.

Ruger M95 basic Ruger auto, trigger a little heavy, gun a little heavy for the caliber, but reliable and has a real safety for the paranoid and a tried and proven operating system.

Walther PPQ...a Glock with a very light trigger...hummm....

SWaMPy, I have a 9c, too chunky for comfortable concealed carry in the land of spandex and shorts, Sigh.

S&W Sigma, a Glock with a national association of trial lawyers trigger. But a bunch of folks moving from DA revolvers like the trigger, including my wife.

Geoff
Who likes choice and might buy a Glock 19 if he needed a replacement for his wifes Sigma.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Boy, all you gotta do is say "...Aww, they ain't so bad." :D

Gaston Glock IS an asshat, no question. And the "Perfection" ad campaign is more than a little grating.

Glock did offer LE agencies great deals on trade in's, and that was certainly a deciding factor in the proliferation of Glock's in LE holsters - along with the timing. A whole lot of agencies were switching from revolvers to semi-autos at the time. And BATF determining the Glock trigger was "double action" didn't hurt them at all.

You've got to admit that the Glock preceeded a revolution in handgun design and manufacturing - for better or worse.

But just to set the record straight, when I found out I was going back to work, I was gonna carry my model 19. Unfortunately, the Sheriff's new policy only approved revolvers for off duty or BUG carry.

So I'm carrying my 1911 in my Kramer shoulder rig. The issue Glock 22 is still in it's case, unfired, locked in my gun safe.

Hope I'm off time out and can watch my cartoons now...;)

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I don't dislike GLOCKS, I dislike GLOCK the company.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
SpecialEd said:

Springfield, SIG and S&W all make fine guns, but they don't claim "Perfection."

Most of the "innovations" on GLOCKs were done by other manufacturers before, some as early as the turn of the last century. GLOCK put them all together at the right time.
Sometimes it isn't necessary to be innovative, just ... clever. Clever enough to put together a package of things that were previously available separatly.
So Glock didn't "innovate," he "consolodated.":D It worked.

I am reminded, a little of the competition between John Marlin and Oliver Winchester. Marlin would come out with a lever-action rifle that could handle a POWERFUL cartridge and Winchester would field a rifle of lesser power but it would sell like hotcakes and in order to have some place in the market, Marlin, to his chagrin, wound up chambering a version of his rifle in the Winchester caliber.
Winchester didn't have the "best" lever guns, really. Oh we remember the Winchester as the "rifle that won the west." It was marketing. Ollie Winchester was a genius in that dept. -- and to be sure, a bit of a bully. Marlin came out with leverguns that could handle the .45-70 &+++ power cartridges before Winchester ..... but we all remember the Winnies.
Marketing marketing marketing marketing.
Did I say it was marketing?
Just making sure.:rolleyes:

I have and like the Sig SP 2022, and yes it is a great gun and safer than my Glock 19. And I brought up "Glock perfection." But I hope everyone understands my tongue was firmly planted in-cheek.:angel: It is a bit ...."annoying." There's no such thing as perfection, really.
Gaston Glock may be a jackwagon, or a Eingebildete kleine Brut. But whatever he did, he did something right. Maybe it's just ....."coincicdence???";)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
SpecialEd said:
Sometimes it isn't necessary to be innovative, just ... clever. Clever enough to put together a package of things that were previously available separatly.
So Glock didn't "innovate," he "consolodated.":D It worked.

I am reminded, a little of the competition between John Marlin and Oliver Winchester. Matrlin would come out with a lever-action rifle that could handle a POWERFUL cartridge and Winchester would field a rifle of lesser power but it would sell like hotcakes and in order to have some place in the market, Marlin, to his chagrin, wound up chambering a version of his rifle in the Winchester caliber.
Winchester didn't have the "best" lever guns, really. Oh we remember the Winchester as the "rifle that won the west." It was marketing. Ollie Winchester was a genius in that dept. -- and to be sure, a bit of a bully. Marlin came out with leverguns that could handle the .45-70 &+++ power cartridges before Winchester ..... but we all remember the Winnies.
Marketing marketing marketing marketing.
Did I say it was marketing?
Just making sure.:rolleyes:

I have and like the Sig SP 2022, and yes it is a great gun and safer than my Glock 19. And I brought up "Glock perfection." But I hope everyone understands my tongue was firmly planted in-cheek.:angel: It is a bit ...."annoying." There's no such thing as perfection, really.
Gaston Glock may be a jackwagon, or a Eingebildete kleine Brut. But whatever he did, he did something right. Maybe it's just ....."coincicdence???";)
I think we're on the same ground here, Tommy.

Coincidence, timing, luck...a lot of one or maybe a little of all three. But he took the ball and ran with it. And over a lot of folks, too, I've heard.

I know that Glock refuses to acknowledge any problems with any of their products. I find that kind of "company policy" deplorable. And dangerous. Oh, they usually figure it out and quietly fix the problem, but I still don't like it.

But even though I don't plan on putting any money in Gaston's pocket, I just can't deny him (or his company) their props where due. Having carried and shot a Glock for almost eight years, as much as I don't think it is a contribution to the gunmakers ART, it's a functional, well designed weapon that does what it is intended to do. It's not for a newbie to handguns - but then neither is a 1911. A Glock, just like a 1911, will bite you if you are not trained and dedicated to learning how to operate it. And the uninitiated, making a startled grab for a Glock in the middle of the night, is an ND waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When my wife and I take self-defense classes, we count the number of students with non-Glock pistols.

We try to have a sandwich or snack bar for each so that when the class huddles around them throughout the day to figure out their mystery stoppage that has never-ever happened before, we can head to the cooler for refreshments.

You learn these things when you are over 50.:wink:

Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts