Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my Winchester 1897 shotgun and I'm looking for information on how to dissassemble it, and other maintenance issues. I have a takedown version so I'd like to know how to do that as well. Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've had four of these shotguns and though I really like to shoot them, I've never had the guts to try to take one apart (much less put it back together :wink: ). You may want to find one of the NRA Disassembly books on shotguns for good detailed instructions. Have you done a google search for anything on the web?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I couldn't find anything online so I bought this book:

"U.S. Winchester Trench&Riot Guns: And Other U. S. Combat Shot Guns"
by Joe Poyer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance

I have several from the same publisher and they're EXTREMELY detailed. Now all I need is a heatshield/bayonet lug. Does anyone know where I can get one for reasonably cheap? Thanks

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
good luck finding an authentic heat shield. they are pretty hard to find now. there are reproductions out there on the market. unfortunately the repros are often sold as original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.