Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a short barrel Winchester lever action in .45 Colt. It is really accurate and a fun gun to shoot. I have been using only handloaded lead mid-power loads in this rifle.

How heavily may I safely load this rifle with lead and jacketed bullets?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't think Winchester made any early lever guns in .45 Colt but there are a couple of clones of both 1873 and 1892 models. I would not exceed published .45 Colt "standard" loads with either one. I know there is data for "Ruger and T/C only" and those should be used only in those guns.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not mean to imply that it is an early M94. It is a Winchester Model 94AE in .45 Colt (no safeties). Barrel is about 16". It has the saddle ring and the large loop installed, but also came with the standard lever. It holds 9 rounds, so not for the SASS player. It is a sweet shooter and very accurate with my handloads.

Has anyone hunted deer size game with one in .45 Colt? What loading did you use? Will it function with a 300 gr. lead bullet?

Just trying to understand my options.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If its the late 94, Then you can load any "ruger contender" load in it. I have some .45 loads that are very stout, and I will not tell you what they are, but they are STOUT and the gun eats them no problem, It will handle a 30-30 fine, your colt is far less pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Since the 94 can take the 30-30 you can play. I've killed a deer and some pretty big hogs with NORMAL .45 Colt loads at 50+ yds. so you really don't have to push it much.

Honestly don't know about the 300 gr. bullets. I've used them in a .44 Mag. M94 so I would guess the same would apply to the .45.OAL is the question so I'd make a couple of dummies to the same length as factory ammo and try them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts