Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post 1992, Winchester introduced the Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" -- synthetic stock, full-length Mauser style, controlled feed. Many feel the redesign "corrected" the "shortcuts" taken to speed production in the post 1964 models. Win. Mod. 70 is often referred to as "The Rifleman's Rifle."

I found one in 30-06, Leupold VX II 3 - 9x 40mm scope.

Shooting Hodgdon 4895, and 165 gr. BT, Federal Lg. Rifle primers, I'm getting sub MOA at 100 yds.

It's not a "bench rifle" nor an "assault weapon." It's what I carry on a sling out in the sage. Anyone interested in scoped production bolt action shooters?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have one of those in .308, and it is a tack driver. I have a Leupold 8X on it, I believe. (Haven't shot it for a few years.)

Not pretty, but it delivers, even with cheap old milsurp ammo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have two, a standard sporter, another featherweight, in 6.5 swede. the regular is in .257 bob. both great shooters, both pretty rifles and well made, and both shoot well, I had a .280 that was stocked differently, I forget the famous gun maker that they copied the stock profile from, but it bit my face, (common occurrence, not the gun's fault, but genetics) I traded it even up for the bob.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine's pretty as hell, stainless, synthetic black, and matching Leupold in "stainless" matte silver. No frills, just your basic, high tech, hard-core field ordnance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
Post 1992, Winchester introduced the Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" -- synthetic stock, full-length Mauser style, controlled feed. Many feel the redesign "corrected" the "shortcuts" taken to speed production in the post 1964 models.
Actually, the initial problems with the Winchester pushfeed action introduced in 1964 where corrected in 1968. I have many Winchesters in PF and CRF models, and both are GTG.

Don

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but the "Stainless Classic" was introduced in 1992. Keeping up with the when, what of Winchester changes is pretty complicated.

I think this was the rifle/scope used in the final scenes in the season finale of "Justified" on FX.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If I am not mistaken I have 29 of them from pre war to FN. Almost got number 30 last weekend. Most are target grade and some are sporters reworked to target rifles. Smallest is 22 Hornet and largest is 375 H&H. Pre Wars are my favorite.

I have one of the new ones from FN w/ DBM and just waiting for Choate to make the new tactical stock for me inletted for this action. It is supposed to be out in January for Shot Show.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Winchester "Stainless Classic" in .338 Win. Mag. in about 1995. There was a sporting goods store going out of business and there was one left for $299.00. Between me and my two sons we have got about a dozen elk with that rifle. Jim Carmichael once wrote an article called "The Serious Elk Rifle". The .338 was the caliber he wrote about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts