Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I Finally got my first M1 Garand (I'm 18) I took it to my uncle, who lives and breathes anything firearm related, and we shot it once with CMP ammo. We only loaded one round and after he shot it, the round was not ejected...

I think this would be caused by a worn spring or dirty gas plug.

The spring is showing a little ware, but I have no clue if that would have anything to do with this problem.

We took the gas plug out and it has a cone of gunck surrounding the little pole that connects to the plate (sorry, i dont know what all the inside parts are called) we removed some of that gunk and fired it again. Still not ejecting.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Is it not ejecting or not extracting? After you fire if you pull the bolt back by hand does the spent case come back with the bolt? It may be a bad extractor.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
STOP.
Contact the CMP and tell them the problem.
They will either step you through the fix, send you new parts to correct it, or pay to have the rifle shipped back to them so they can fix it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Is it a CMP rifle? If it is, do you know the person who bought it from the CMP?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is the rifle's ejector (not extractor) functional?
If the ejector is working properly, the case would pop off to the side, even if the bolt were operated slowly by hand.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Make sure the gas plug is tight and clean the Claw part of your extractor ,sometimes these get filled with brass shavings from grabing alot of brass. Could also be your ejector spring being full of gunk or weak and not ejecting the spent case.
I see that you are in Michigan ,you might want to contact Tim Shufflin ,he is located in Jerome, Michigan. I am sure he could fix you up for a very small fee .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let's back up a step. Load a round, have someone watch the as the rifle is fired. Does the handle move? If not the gas system is clogged up and needs to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would completely strip the bolt and clean all the recesses completely. Clean the gas cylinder as well. I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and place about 8 drops on rod and let it run down in gas cylinder and store it muzzle down. The Mobil 1 will do wonders in loosening crud.

You can lube the action with Mobil 1 but personally I like synthetic grease. Milspec greases like Auto and Artillery and Aircraft work well. Barring that get a tube of synthetic grease by Mobil at auto parts store. It is pink.

Remove the op rod spring and see if it is damaged in any way.

My guess as others have mentioned is it is gunked up with cosmolene, old grease etc.

Finally insert a clip and one round. It should fire, extract and eject the empty case and the clip at same time when it is RIGHT.

If clip tends to jump ship mid string you will need to replace bullet guide or have a good precision welder build up the little hump surface to about .186" height.

Placed loaded round in muzzle and see if it completely seats inside barrel where only case neck stops it. You could have a excessively worn muzzle and have too much gas escape by bullet and not enough going in gas port. Also you could have very worn gas cylinder allowing too much gas to go by down op rod channel and not pushing on op rod piston.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts