Gun Hub Forums banner

Works for Me

1K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  CaptainGyro 
#1 ·

See less See more
#4 ·
As a now disbanded member of the Bardstown KY Bourbon Society, I've sampled a few Bourbons!

Yes, Jack Daniels (Lem Motlow) is a Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey, not a Kentucky Bourbon distilled within the confines of Bourbon County Kentucky. But I'll slip you recommendation.
try a sip or two of Florida Double Cask Bourbon from the St. Augustine DISTILLERY Co.
I've been sampling their 2016-2017 bottling's, an entirely different animal.

If your taste buds are enticed by charcoal filtered Bourbon, (ie Jack Daniels) I've long considered EVAN WILLIAMS EXTRA AGED IN OAK Black Label Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey a staple. Try It, JMHO.

http://staugustinedistillery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/cask-bourbon.jpg
https://www.worldwidebev.com/media/.../1104-evan-williams-black-label-bourbon_2.jpg

#6 ·
Maker's Mark is the foundation for the Brown Derby's Jack Diamond Manhattan.

I find it difficult to turn away from uncut/unblended barrel strength Single Barrel Bourbons (ie Booker Noel, etc) either neat, or over ice to release the effervescence of the charred white oak barrel. :D

#8 ·
Just consider it as the last sip you might ever have, and to the Devil with the TAB.
When they drop me over the side into Davy Jones Locker, I Damn sure want to go with the Taste of the best spirit I couldn't afford upon my lips! JMHO.

#9 ·
When they drop me over the side into Davy Jones Locker, I Damn sure want to go with the Taste of the best spirit I couldn't afford upon my lips! JMHO.
Amen.

And while I usually drink Bulleit Frontier, I've recently discovered that Old Forester is made with the same mash bill and aged in the same barrels.
Over ice with a splash of branch water it's quite drinkable.
It's a little younger and not quite as high a proof.
But it's also quite a bit less expensive.

I got to sample some pretty good whiskeys this last weekend.

The best thing I drank was Clyde May's...

#10 ·
Back in the day, my preferred poison was Jim Beam. I know, I'm a peasant. :)

Nowadays, I get stoked by a really good cup of coffee. I prefer a French Press when I have the time, and we always grind our own. I haven't found any to-go coffee much to my liking.

Hell, if I show up missing, just post my picture where they sell guns, knives or really good meat. I'll show up eventually.

#11 ·
#12 ·
A friend just moved back to the States from a long stint in Germany and is stocking the bar in his new house. Three of us decided to buy a bottle of our go-to bourbon to get him started. One bought Jack Daniels, one Elijah Craig, and one (moi) bought Bulleit. We decided to do a blind taste test.

(Drum roll)...Bulleit was the unanimous winner. The other two guys were quite surprised, but got over it when they realized they're going to be saving quite a bit of money in the next few years.

#14 ·
Sampling an aperitif while awaiting the turnip greens, for the pork chops mashed potatoes and cream gravy. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve small batch 120 proof aged nine years. It's a Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey distilled and bottled by Knob Creek Distillery, Clermont, Kentucky.

Heaven Hill Distillery Brands are diverse, they cover many price points and palates.
https://www.heavenhill.com/brand/5

I have yet to sample Bulleit's aged 10 year Bourbon, but there is a bit to much rye in the mix of Bulleit's Bourbon Frontier Whiskey. JMHO.

#18 ·
TommyGunn,

When I was AD after I held evening formation and had released the troops I drink a 6 pack, got to mess, then uncork a liter of Turkey 101 and drink half a bottle. Up to wake cooks and KPs at 0330 and start may day. Sometimes I wonder how I made it to 82. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Worst I ever drank was some shine that the idiot cut with kerosene.

My distant cousin was a deputy sheriff over in South Carolina. His policy on bootleggers was simple and smart. If the shine was good he'd confiscate and turn the bootlegger lose. If it was bad he'd confiscate and jail the idiot.

#21 ·
Worst I ever drank was some shine that the idiot cut with kerosene.

My distant cousin was a deputy sheriff over in South Carolina. His policy on bootleggers was simple and smart. If the shine was good he'd confiscate and turn the bootlegger lose. If it was bad he'd confiscate and jail the idiot.
My paternal grandfather brewed moonshine during prohibition.He got some kicks from getting mules and other critters drunk.

Never ride a drunk mule.

#29 ·
I guess "close" is a relative thing. Dad lived on the northern edge of Nebraska (Hartington, to be exact) so only the Dakotas were between them and Canada. The distance was a little less than from the moonshining hotspots of the Appalachians, and there were no Great Lakes, mountains or cities in between...just miles of rural roads through mostly unpopulated farm land.

#30 ·
I guess "close" is a relative thing. Dad lived on the northern edge of Nebraska (Hartington, to be exact) so only the Dakotas were between them and Canada. The distance was a little less than from the moonshining hotspots of the Appalachians, and there were no Great Lakes, mountains" or cities in between...just miles of rural roads through mostly unpopulated farm land.
I'll bet "not having much else to do" made those distances a bit shorter too. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.