Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, the Ruger product launch for the SR1911 pistol will take place on MONDAY, APRIL 18th at 2:00 PM EST. You are required to keep all information regarding the new pistol quiet until after the official launch has taken place. We wanted you to have the official press release and new images of the firearm since the grip has changed from black rubber to hardwood. We hope you will use this information to help us spread the word about this exciting new firearm on Monday!
this is only the latest in a series of e-mails from Ruger

In early December last year I was one of a group of writers invited to Gunsite for a Ruger new product introduction. In order to attend I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement that obligated myself, the company and all employees to not disclose whatever it was we'd learn that week.

The first night at dinner the main topic of conversation was Ruger's new 1911. The only people not talking about it were the Ruger folks.

Sure enough next morning in the Gunsite classroom every seat had a box that contained--- wonder of wonders--- a SR1911. We got a nice presentation about the gun and then went to the range and shot them... a lot.

The introduction was planned for the Shot Show so I did a re-write of my 1911 anniversary story that was scheduled to appear in early March. The timing was perfect.

Than a couple of weeks before the show came word from Ruger that the introduction was going to be delayed for unspecified reasons and we were "embargoed" from talking about it. The only salvation was that the magazine just had to switch back to my original copy.

But by then there was a picture floating about several forums and I got lots of questions I couldn't answer. So anyhow Ruger now has a 1911. I am now going to wait until I have a production gun in my hands for any review but the gun I shot in Arizona was just fine.

The interesting thing is that the stuff that did get out almost surely had to come from inside since the photo was not like the guns we had.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Given Rugers previous practices, I wonder what parts can only be purchased from Ruger/installed at the factory?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I'm wondering how many Single-Action parts are gonna be in this Ruger!!! :lol:

Truthfully, if it's built with the same attention as the other Ruger Semi-Autos, the other manufacturers have nothing to sweat.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given Rugers previous practices, I wonder what parts can only be purchased from Ruger/installed at the factory?
Truthfully, if it's built with the same attention as the other Ruger Semi-Autos, the other manufacturers have nothing to sweat.
Based on my examination it looks as if parts will be basic 1911. I'm sure they may not want to sell major components but I think small parts are same stuff you can buy anywhere.

From the small number of guns I saw and shot I thought fit and finish was very good. The slide/frame fit was very nice and accuracy was good too although it was not a formal accuracy test.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Did they use a dove tail cut for the front sight? (Edited to add, POSTIE 1K! Who'da thunk it!)

Geoff
Who would prefer the M-95 sights a customer can change himself.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Charlie, you know that those guns they brought to Gunsite were probably all hand-fitted. word on the 1911 forums from those who are in the know is that Ruger had a couple of Prominent 1911-mechanics on hand to oversee the construction of those 1911s.

I've got a feeling the production guns will be not so problem-free and well-fitted.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
word on the 1911 forums from those who are in the know is that Ruger had a couple of Prominent 1911-mechanics on hand to oversee the construction of those 1911s.
Do you have a link to those threads on the 1911 forums?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So who isn't making a 1911 clone, nowadays? Should we be watching Kel-Tec? :p

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you might want to forward that suggestion to them... :thumbsup:

Frankly I think it is way cool that a 100 year old gun still sells way over 100K units per year.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Charlie Petty said:

Frankly I think it is way cool that a 100 year old gun still sells way over 100K units per year.
Excellent point, Charlie!
I'd really like to see Gaston get on board... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
shep854 said:
Charlie Petty said:

bite your Tongue!!! Last thing I'd want is a 'Tupperware-1911'!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
shep854 said:
bite your Tongue!!! Last thing I'd want is a 'Tupperware-1911'!
But wouldn't it make the GLOCK-sters howl! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't count but 30 or so because the Gunsite instructors all had one and there were 20-25 writers.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Here's what I mean, 30 brand new production pistols, only one with a small, easily-repaired problem? Nice, light triggers(Guys who've managed to come up with these guns since claimed pulls in the 5+ pound-range and, yes Tim, I'll get a link for you), great fit and finish, almost Bullseye accuracy? From a company like Ed Brown or Les Baer I could believe this, but, Ruger, for the most part, builds Sledgehammer Handguns not known far and wide for gilt-edged accuracy and smoothness out of the chute.

Oh, if you have a 1911 based on a Caspian Frame/Slide you already have a Ruger 1911. Caspian Frames and slides are Cast and formed at Rugers' Pinetree facility. have been since the beginning. Ruger is using those same Frames/slides in their build. Not that there's anything wrong with them, Caspian Frames are top-Notch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts