Gunhub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend sold his m1a to the local gun shop and is selling off some parts. He bought a rack grade M1A 5 years ago and replaced the standard USGI gas cylinder with a unitized gas cylinder from Fulton Armory. As I was inspecting the non-unitized USGI gas cylinder, I noticed that the ends were very. very lightly mashed around the outside. I ask what this was and he told me he installed and removed it a few times using the steel handle of his gas cylinder wrench to pound it on and off because it was a very tight fit. There is nothing wrong with the threads and the piston moves normally through it. Do you think it is safe to use? Thank's guys.

Also, do any of you know the life of a USGI gas cylinder?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, if it's been visibly boogered up by someone manhandling it, I woldn't buy it. Not unless it was VERY cheap, like as a spare. Just my opinion. I couldn't tell you about the life of a cylinder. I have yet to hear of anyone wearing one out yet through regular shooting.

HF

·
Registered
559 Posts
gas cylinder

Never use a steel hammer for installing anything on an M14 rifle.

Thumbs down on that purchase.

Hardwood blocks along with plastic/rubber hammer and leather mallets are the only whacking tools you should use. Only exception I can think of is installing a roll pin with a punch. And then you don't use a 22 oz. carpenter's hammer either.

A 6 oz. ball peen is the only steel whacking device in my tool kit.

About gas cylider life;

M14 Dan replaced one after 40,000 rounds. I beleive that was the figure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts