Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

i need a complete front sight for the US Rifle, caliber .30 of 1917 (sometimes called: P-17). - PM me if you have one to sell.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Have you checked Numrich, Sarco, Springfield Sporters and Century?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Snake,

YEP every one of those. - NONE had any, though i found another similar firm that had the "insert" for the sight but nothing else.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Wow, the surplus/parts market sure ain't what it was in the '60s, '70s, or even '80s, is it? :(

I checked on eBay for you. Nothing there. But it wouldn't hurt to check back there every week or so, as cool stuff comes and goes all the time.

If you don't "do" eBay, let me know, and I'll be glad to bid on something for you and then you can settle up with me. I know a lot of people don't like dealing with PayPal and all that but I've never had any problem with it and have always found it to work very smoothly.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS, Snake.

actually, i've found a suitable Remington sight on ebay BUT it's ending in 6 days. - i did bid on it, though.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
stand watie said:
THANKS, Snake.

actually, i've found a suitable Remington sight on ebay BUT it's ending in 6 days. - i did bid on it, though.

yours, sw
BAD move. You don't want to bid on something this soon. All you do is run up the price.

Here's how to play eBay: Figure out what is the VERY MOST you would pay for that item if it were in front of you right now. From that number, you subtract the seller's stated shipping charge (if he doesn't state one, figure $8). The result is your one and only maximum bid, which you put in ten seconds before the auction ends.

You'll either get the thing at your price (or, often, lower, sometimes MUCH lower), or you start watching for the next one to come along, and there will be another one coming along if you're patient.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snake,

personal note to Snake: do you happen to KNOW if the same bayonet fits the so-called "P-17" AND the British "P-14"?

i bid little enough that it shouldn't BE a problem. - i was afraid that i would be out of town on the day that the auction ends. = i will HAPPILY pay what i bid on the sight IF i get it for that price.

fyi, i've often been the first & ONLY bidder & got the item for the "set in price" by the seller. = my latest "treasure" is the (GREAT sounding, according to other Ham Operators!) two-way Midland radio that i have on "the 2 meter band" in my pickup. - i bid the "seller's opening bid" of 25.oo & was astounded to get it for 25.oo + 6.oo S&H. then i put about 5.oo more into the radio for "extra parts".
(that Midland 80W mobile radio originally sold for well over 800.oo. ===> there ARE some DEALS on ebay.com)

thanks for the advice.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
No idea on your bayonet question. Maybe someone else would know.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snake45,

fwiw, i GOT the rear sight for the 1917 this AM in the mail- it's by Reminton, BRAND NEW & still in cosmoline!
WOO HOO.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snake,

WOO HOO! - got my front sight assembly off ebay for the princely sun of 9.99 + 2.oo S&H = I'M PLEASED!

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here's a tip about bidding on ebay. There is a web site called esnipe that will place your bid on ebay just before the bidding ends. They do have a small fee to buy points, but it is next to nothing, Ican't remember the last time I had to pay them anything. After you get signed up with them all you have to do is give them the auction number and your maximum bid and when you want the bid placed, I usually ask for 5 seconds before the bidding ends. It's worked good for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
stand watie said:
Snake,

WOO HOO! - got my front sight assembly off ebay for the princely sun of 9.99 + 2.oo S&H = I'M PLEASED!

yours, sw
EBay has been berry, berry good to me. I've been able to fulfill many dreams there, and always at the price I wanted to pay. What a shame they no longer allow slide, barrels, bolts, and so forth to be sold there.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snake,

100% AGREED - i used to buy Winchester parts off that site - SILLY to NOT allow it, imVho.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snake,

got my FRONT sight in this AM = looks GREAT.

will have the P-17 shooting this weekend, if nothing untoward happens. = cannot wait.

yours, sw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts