Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just read Patrick Sweeney's story on the new retro/repro XM177 flash/sound suppressor in the latest Shotgun News.

I'm down with the whole retro deal, and Patrick you know I loves ya, but damned if I get this one. $325 for the thing, plus another two pigs for the feds to make it legal--I'm just not seeing $525 worth of value or improvement over screwing a $15-$20 slip-over fake suppressor onto a standard, garden-variety, legal-everywhere 16" barrel. I'd rather spend that five pigs elsewhere, like on more ammo for example.

I was under the impression that the whole 177 thing came about because they were trying to get the AR down to a VERY compact package, like something that could be put into an ejection seat survival package or something of that nature. The suppressor made it somewhat sorta kinda semi-bearable to shoot, and unscrewed, the now 3-piece package was smaller than it could have been with a 16" barrel. In fact, compact breakdown is the ONLY advantage I can see that that arrangement has over a regular 16" (or 15, or 15.5, or whatever) barrel. Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm debating converting one of my AR's into a SBR.

I'm just not sure why...

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, we went from zero to completely off topic in ONE post. I think that's a board record! :shock:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Point taken...sorry.

One possible reason for the topic drift may be that some of us have no idea what the XM177 is and can't find the related article. The whole subject sounds intriguing, and something I'd like to understand more fully, but a search of Shotgun News turned up nothing, even searching for all of Patrick's articles.

If you're able, could you please provide a link to the article? I (and possible others) would like to read it.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's in the Sept 1 issue, which I just got in the mail Friday. Maybe it's not online yet.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you're missing NOTHING- its a GIMMICK-another version of I got to have something different to please the crowd- and when you add in the suppressor, you end up with roughly the same barrel length as the original 20 inch model- and just as CLUMSY - if I wanted compact, i'd go and have gone BULLPUP

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Snake, my prescription for Walt is accepted medical practice for minor irrational urges or fantasies. I don't think it is for PMS, but probably can't hurt.

Obviously my efforts at training Walt have failed... ;-)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snake, my prescription for Walt is accepted medical practice for minor irrational urges or fantasies. I don't think it is for PMS, but probably can't hurt.

I like to just take a nap while Pawn Stars or Ice Road Truckers or Mountain Men or Fearless UFO Hunters is on the Hitler Channel (and one of them is ALWAYS on). When I wake up, the urge to do whatever it was that had me fired up has usually passed. ;)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Point taken...sorry.

One possible reason for the topic drift may be that some of us have no idea what the XM177 is and can't find the related article. The whole subject sounds intriguing, and something I'd like to understand more fully, but a search of Shotgun News turned up nothing, even searching for all of Patrick's articles.

If you're able, could you please provide a link to the article? I (and possible others) would like to read it.

The XM177 was the first iteration of the shorty M16 - collapsible stock, 10" barrel with a 5.5" "suppressor"/flash hider. Colt called it the CAR-15 I think.
The USAF named them GAU5/5a's. They were standard issue for K-9 handlers in Viet Nam, and probably Spec Ops troops, too. They were still in service with USAF Security Police in the early 90's. As a Flight Chief, I carried one for several years. The "suppressor" didn't really suppress so much as diffuse the blast of a shot being fired. Believe me, you still wanted hearing protection on the firing range.

I'm with Snake on this. I'd love to have a mock up of a GAU5a like the one I carried on duty. But I would prefer a fake suppressor fitted over a 16" barrel just to forgo the expense and paperwork of an SBR.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, BTW, after I submitted the OP of this thread, I noticed that I hadn't capitalized the M in XM177. Went back in and tried to edit it three times (advanced edit), no joy. You can change the post text but not the thread title--even as a mod. It's driving me crazy. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

I'm wounded - beyond measure...

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Back in the day, a gent acquired all the dedicated parts & papers and I was able to build him a genuine XM-177 clone. The flash suppressor absolutely fascinated me. Besides it's length, the interior is filled with a honey comb liner that absorbs flash and modifies the sound.

I don't know how they got the honey comb in there and would love to know both how they got it in there and where they got the stuff.

IIRC, the XM-177 came about because some folks were trying to get something about the size of a subgun that used ammo/mags in the supply chain. I rather had the impression that the flash suppressor was furnished as kind of a place holder for a full fleged suppressor for those special folks.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Oh, BTW, after I submitted the OP of this thread, I noticed that I hadn't capitalized the M in XM177. Went back in and tried to edit it three times (advanced edit), no joy. You can change the post text but not the thread title--even as a mod. It's driving me crazy. :mad::mad::mad:
Might not have been your fault. Some of the forum softwares will prevent you from having anything but the first letter capitalized.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Might not have been your fault. Some of the forum softwares will prevent you from having anything but the first letter capitalized.
Ah, that would explain it. I could have sworn I typed it in right to start with, and was surprised to see it wrong when posted. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts