Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it's from the Performance Center...

But, IMO, this is one butt ugly gun.

And no Fernando, the image isn't distorted.

When we got one in all I could think of was one Friday at about 4:45 pm just before a long holiday weekend a worker thinking "Got to get these large frame guns done to get production quota... Hmmmm I'll just use those barrels over there, and those cylinders over yonder, they've been sitting there forever doing nothing". :wink:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Schmit ---

I see your boss deals with Lew Horton's also!! That gun is a Performance Center exclusive with them. I know this because serial #77 arrived here yesterday. Total bbl length is 2" and it comes with 3 full moon clips for it. The flyer from Lew Horton's states that they used a shorter cylinder to "improve accuracy" :roll:

Heck --- it is not the ugliest gun the PC has ever put out. A month or so ago I got a PC 17hmr revolver with a 12" bbl -- talk about weird looking!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
mikegunner said:
The flyer from Lew Horton's states that they used a shorter cylinder to "improve accuracy" :roll:
Actually, this practice is nothing new. Nowlin used to offer Model 25/625 conversions for Bowling Pin shooting with the cylinders cut back to match the max OAL cartridge length of the .45 ACP.

The late Fred Schmidt used offer .38 Special wadcutter-only conversions for PPC which also featured dramaticly truncated cylinders.

To the best of my Mk 1 Mod 1 Eyeball's estimatation, the cylinder on the revolver shown above is still longer tha n either of the conversions mentioned.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ugly indeed. However, I still think the Steyr GB has to hold the title as "World's Ugliest Gun." Gawd.... When I was a kid, I used sticks from a pecan tree as pretend guns that were WAY prettier than the GrossBanger.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
What about the Liberty?

The WWII era "Liberty" one-shot .45 has to be on the short-list of the butt ugliest guns ever.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
Ugly indeed. However, I still think the Steyr GB has to hold the title as "World's Ugliest Gun." Gawd.... When I was a kid, I used sticks from a pecan tree as pretend guns that were WAY prettier than the GrossBanger.
Oh, if you thought that the GB80 was ugly, you should have seen the prototypes and the US knockoff. The latter was the Rogak P18 which was built and marketed by Steyr's then-current importer LES. (The Rogak family owned LES.) If I remember correctly, they were built in Skokie, IL and later, Morton Grove, IL of all places. (Some wags have joked that the Rogak was so awful that Morton Grove banned all handguns within its city limits just to remove the P18's stigma.)

However, Steyr has really out done itself with the latest version of its M-Series pistols. I recently saw a photo of its new M-A1 series. The regular M-Series wasn't so bad on the eyes if you didn't mind the space-age, Euro-trash styling. The current model has styling dehancements so egregious that I suspect folks who loved the original would not be caught dead owning the current version. It positively screams cheap toy/cap gun/water pistol.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Liberty? Liberator?

Now I'm trying to remember. Was it the "Liberty" or "Liberator?"

They were supposedly dropped behind the lines for the locals to use to harass the ocupiers.

Ed

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not a bad looking revolver frame,

but where the Hell's the barrel?? :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Butt Ugly is way too kind.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fernando Coelho said:
How about their "Lost In Space" commerative...

No thank you!

FC, that was uncalled for.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Fernando --

That is the 17hmr that I discussed in my post --- I must say though -- it did shoot nice :eek: :wink:

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Fernando, you have entirely too much free time...

FWIW: I did shoot one of them and no, it ain't all that shootable. I've done worse things I guess, but never before would I put .45 ACP in the same sentence with "muzzle blast" and "unpleasant" and those are my strongest recollections.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Actually the new and improved revolver took two minutes with Paintshop Pro. This while I was "multi-tasking" (cigar in mouth, coffee cup near keyboard, the admin area of the main site open and working on the Professionals section, and phone in ear). Having Paintshop already open was the final temptation to correct that silly looking thing.

The only free time I have nowadays is when I’m sleeping. :lol:

I bet shooting the Smith is about as much fun as shooting an AMT Backup.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
No... that was worse.

Did you know that the 500 S&W's hottest load has 96% as much recoil as a .470 Nitro Express? You got Paintshop... I got Baltech :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts