Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
wasn't it cooper that said that one who wants to put a shoulder stock on a pistol doesn't understand the purpose of the gun?; morevoer , typically, unless the shoulder stock is extremely long, it throws the face too close to the action; look at the b/p revolvers with shoulder stocks- try cradleing one sometime; let alone the legal ramifications;
the pistol belongs at the end of an outstretched arm, and only saves your a** till you get to your rifle

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I have a shoulder stock that's used on my repro Colt 1860 Army cap & ball revolver. I don't think I've ever used it while shooting. It's legal for blackpowder guns because of how BP guns are classified.
I realize that on a Ruger MKII it would be a no-no....while I have no use for pistols with shoulder stocks (I guess...) I think the law is dumb. OTOH I ain't gonna break it -- or advise others to.
IrishCop said:
BATFE guys typically have NO sense of humor.
...As Randy Weaver & David Koresh found out ......:bolt:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
SO the OP is having a gunsmith make another receiver........I hope the guy has the appropriate federal license. While you can make a receiver for your own use without issue, making one for someone else is "manufacturing". If it's a one time deal for the smith, that's gonna be a verrrrrry expensive project.

I'm kinda with El Jefe on this one. The OP would be further ahead getting a take down version of the 10-22.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I wonder if he knows the difference between "receiver" and "frame". With the Ruger they are not the same.

Wouldn't it be perfectly legal to screw a 16" barrel into the Ruger receiver (the part with the serial number) and then do anything he wanted to the lower half...?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't it be perfectly legal to screw a 16" barrel into the Ruger receiver (the part with the serial number) and then do anything he wanted to the lower half...?
That's my understanding.

The problem is, does he have a functional pistol top half in his possession at the moment? If he does, he's in trouble.

If his only receiver is at the smith being rebarrelled, he's fine. The grip frame isn't controlled, so who cares about it? He has two interesting pieces, that's all.

Now, when he gets his 16" upper back, is he planning to also have a short-barrelled upper on hand? Then it gets more interesting. I don't think it would be legal to have even his adapter on an assembled pistol, though it would be fine to have on AFTER he mounts the 16" upper.

It's all so confusing. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I haven't been paying much attention to the regs for at least 15 years, but IIRC, you can go pistol to rifle without federal paperwork. Going the other way is the problem.

Snake, I believe you've got something. If he's got one grip frame adapted for a shoulder stock, having the stock and the short barreled receiver is just asking for a real bad time at the local federal building. Again, IIRC, you can have a pistol with a stock adapter, but you'd best not have the matching stock. Curio/relic and pre-1898 excepted.

There are some good guys who work for BATFE, but they do seem to be scarce.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to ALL,

including the "Mauser 'red nine' broomhandle carbine" that i ONCE had, i've NEVER seen a good reason for a pistol w/shoulder stock! period. end of story.

just my opinion, sw

·
Registered
795 Posts
The best response in that thread was: "Buy a Buckmark rifle."

What's the point of cobbling that all together when the legality is so murky. An average law enforcement officer who sees that contraption will arrest the guy for possession of an illegal weapon. They will search his house, seize every gun and gun part and everything they think might be a gun part, seize his computers to see who he has been conspiring with and go through his finances. In six months or a year he might get his guns back by which time he's bankrupt or they have found other contraband in his collection or on his computer.

My personal favorite in this theme is the shoulder stock Lee Van Cleef used in For a Few Dollars More.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The best response in that thread was: "Buy a Buckmark rifle."

What's the point of cobbling that all together when the legality is so murky. An average law enforcement officer who sees that contraption will arrest the guy for possession of an illegal weapon. They will search his house, seize every gun and gun part and everything they think might be a gun part, seize his computers to see who he has been conspiring with and go through his finances. In six months or a year he might get his guns back by which time he's bankrupt or they have found other contraband in his collection or on his computer.

My personal favorite in this theme is the shoulder stock Lee Van Cleef used in For a Few Dollars More.
yea, but in real life( not the movies) you burn your nose off- or in his case, nose catches on hammer

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Gentlemen, something to cogitate on. I believe, as far as the ATFE is concerned, this would be looked on as the same venue as the 'Mare's Leg' pistols. What they would state is that as long the the receiver was never made into a handgun(Just as Taurus used receivers for Model 92s that weren't built to make the Mare's Legs), it's legal. If however, that receiver with the 16" barrel had a SN that showed that at one time it resided atop a MkII or III Pistol, he's in violation. What I'm getting at is that he would need a statement from Ruger that that particular receiver had never been mounted on a pistol.

Now, the bigger picture, The Barreled-receivers of Ruger Mk pistols can easily be swapped without fitting. If he is also in possession of the original barreled receiver for that pistol, he is in possession of a 'SBR' or Short-Barreled Rifle that is not listed in the registry making it completely illegal. Further, I believe that he would probably have to make some kind of mod to the frame that would negate the use of a standard barreled-receiver for a pistol. I'm afraid that his dream of a combination Rifle/pistol on the same frame will end up being a ten year long nightmare of pain every time he crawls into his Prison Bunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts