Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Dudley Hiibel, a 59 year old cowboy who owns a small ranch outside of Winnemucca, Nevada. He lives a simple life, but he's his own man. You probably never would have heard of Dudley Hiibel if it weren't for his belief in the U.S. Constitution.

One balmy May evening back in 2000, Dudley was standing around minding his own business when all of a sudden, a policeman pulled-up and demanded that Dudley produce his ID. Dudley, having done nothing wrong, declined. He was arrested and charged with "failure to cooperate" for refusing to show ID on demand. And it's all on video.

On the 22nd of March 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether Dudley and the rest of us live in a free society, or in a country where we must show "the papers" whenever a cop demands them.
Can't believe that we haven't heard of this before!

The Entire Outrage on Tape…

·
Registered
76 Posts
The lack of common sense, common courtesy, and Constitutional knowledge on the part of Deputy Ding-Dong in this incident is apalling. Had he simply said that he received a report of a domestic dispute and that's what he was investigating, I would lay odds that Mr. Hiibel would have been more than happy to explain the situation to him and cheerfully and respectfully pulled out his ID. The Deputy's "none-of-your-business" approach to the incident shows a vast ignorance of rights...and REALLY makes me wonder about the quality of law enforcement training in that jurisdiction.

And just an aside...if this incident happened in 2000, why the "post 9-11" attempts at justification????!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can see no place where the officer erred, but dozens of reasons for locking the guy up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That made me so mad that I would have liked to get my hands on the rotten #*@$% myself! Damn it, that poor girl didn't do a thing in the wrong, all she did was try to get out of the truck, I'm NOT going to say if it was me I would have gone for what is in the trucks glove box....but I would have been tempted to "take control" of the situation. Those rotton cops ought to go straight to the bottom of the food chain on the police roster.
lol, and to think, 9 friends of mine are sheriff deputies, and state troopers, city and village police, ect....I'm pro law enforcement, but how can you enforce a law when one wasn't broken, and how can you tolerate a cocky cop who thinks hes above the law he is there to uphold by example? I'm starting to think we should go back to the old un-armed police force, but with the wackos today....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts