Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theoretical or true? If I sight my M1 or M14 in at 50 yds. and shoot at something 100 yds. away I would guess my shot would be only 1/2" low.
Am I right or wrong?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Exsarge,

And here I thought this discussion would be about the current occupant of the people's WH.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
There is a trajectory involved. The Canadian Bull target had a X for zeroing 7.62x51 which was above the point of aim and another below for the 5.56.
Now in my youth it was accepted to sight the .30-06 in to Point of Aim at 250 yards and I forget where it crossed the Line of Sight, the first time.
Geoff
Who knows too much to ever want total recall.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Theoretical or true? If I sight my M1 or M14 in at 50 yds. and shoot at something 100 yds. away I would guess my shot would be only 1/2" low.
Am I right or wrong?
Zero at fifty would be high at one hundred. The sights are above the muzzle. In order to get the fifty yard arc of the bullet to intersect the line of sight through the sights, the muzzle has to be slightly elevated.

Hornady has an online ballistics calculator. It shows a quarter inch high for the following. I deleted the results because I'm too lazy to edit out all the tab characters.
Ballistic Coefficient 0.5 Velocity (ft/s) 2700 Weight (grains) 168
Maximum Range (yds) 100 Interval (yds) 25 Drag Function G1
Sight Height (inches) 1.5 Shooting Angle (degrees) 0 Zero Range (yds) 50

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Thought it may be high since it's pretty much still on the way up....

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Zero at fifty would be high at one hundred.
That's what I would have said. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the rounds didn't impact a couple (or several) inches high at 100 with a 50 yard zero.

Now, it's very different with a .22. Zero at 50 and you can expect a drop of 6 to 7 inches at 100.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Zero at fifty would be high at one hundred. The sights are above the muzzle. In order to get the fifty yard arc of the bullet to intersect the line of sight through the sights, the muzzle has to be slightly elevated.

Hornady has an online ballistics calculator. It shows a quarter inch high for the following. I deleted the results because I'm too lazy to edit out all the tab characters.
Ballistic Coefficient 0.5 Velocity (ft/s) 2700 Weight (grains) 168
Maximum Range (yds) 100 Interval (yds) 25 Drag Function G1
Sight Height (inches) 1.5 Shooting Angle (degrees) 0 Zero Range (yds) 50
Phantom didn't you post a training vid on sighting in the M1 Garand?It told you how many clicks for 200yds and you started working from there.?

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
I was reading something today that said a 50 yard dead-on zero with an AR will also be dead-on at around 250. Which means that yes, it will be several inches high at 100.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My recollection of the 50 yard AR zero is dead on again around 225, about 1 inch high at 200.. Per the handy dandy chart in the NRA LE Instructors book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts