Gun Hub Forums banner

Zevon fans from TZG

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Fernando Coelho 
Wow, who'd a guessed I would have uncovered a nest of WZ fans on a gun board! Although you guys are citing mainly stuff from his early work. Didja know he sang about Glocks in the 1995 song Rottweiler Blues?

"Got a Glock in the bedside table
Machine gun leaning by the bedroom door
Kevlar vest in the closet
I wear it when I go to the store...."

The song's a tribute to his friend Hunter S. Thompson.

I like all the WZ songs mentioned so far, but my favorites are probably:

Roll with the Punches
Boom Boom Mancini
Jungle Work
Figurine (never released, only available on concert bootleg)
Splendid Isolation
Down in the Mall
Hostage-O
Stand in the Fire
Dirty LIfe and Times
Mohammed's Radio
Johnny Strikes Up the Band
Model Citizen
Piano Fighter
Something Bad Happened to a Clown
Poisonous Lookalike

Oh hell, I like them ALL!

We'll not see his like again.

--Snake, STEN gun in hand where the gun is law

Sounds like you have pretty much everything available on CD except MBE, which is sort of rare these days. Envoy and SITF have never been on CD so if you see CDs of those, they're fakes. They're both supposed to be reissued next year, though.

There's a tribute album coming out, supposedly by the end of the year. And then there's supposed to be a four-CD box set of "rarities" including some stuff never before released. I'm hoping there will be a version of Figurine on that. That's a great song.

I have a friend in Australia who put together a three-CD set of nothing but WZ doing covers of other songs in concert--everything from Buddy Holley's Not Fade Away to Dylan's All Along the Watchtower and Dwight Yoakum's Santa Can't Stay. Great set!

Did you ever get to see him? I'm glad to be able to say I saw him twice. I came to the party late--didn't become a major fan until about 1996 or so.

--Snake, with a .38 Special up on the shelf....

It's well known that he wrote Roland with David Lindell in Spain. Lindell was a guy who had been there, done that, and seen several elephants. Lindell died a few years ago, so there's no way to get his end of the story now.

Roland was the subject of discussion on alt.music.zevon several months ago. I asked why, if Roland was the best Thompson gunner, the CIA wanted him dead. Nobody seemed to know.

Nobody seemed to know what Mohammed's Radio is about, either. Zevon was a master of abstract lyrics.

Here's a link to something that the diehard Zevon fans in the crowd might appreciate:

http://www.jackalsquadron.org/content/r ... efault.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.